Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Internet speeds slowed significantly for months

Answered

Hi there,

We first made the switch to bigpond roughly about 2 years ago. First of all when we swapped over we were told we were going to have ADSL2+ and that's why we actually made the switch from tpg to telstra (telstra owns the copper at our exchange so we could only get ADLS2+ through them). For all this time our download rate was at around 700kb/s with an average of 630kb/s. I therefore assumed we were on ADSL2+.

About 3 months ago this speed significantly dropped to a maximum of 400kb/s on a good day and for the majority of the time it did not surpass 330kb/s. Our speed had halved pretty much. I called technical support and they said that my line was capped to 4Mb/s so they upgraded it to a level 2. The technician removed the 4Mb/s cap that was put on by people at telstra without our knowledge and therefore had apparently been fixed but I did not see the speed go past 500kb/s.

So from a maximum of 700kb/s it still remained at a speed that is less to what it should be.

It was then brought to my attention after calling technical support a further 3 times to help me resolve this issue that my plan was in fact ADSL liberty 200GB not ADSL2+ and therefore they suggested I upgrade to ADSL2+. And so I did. In the mean time while the upgrade was in progress my Internet dropped for pretty much a whole day, I think it was around the 5-6 hour mark when it finally came back as ADSL2+. 

I did a speed test thinking now that its ADSL2+ that I'll get great speeds. I live approximately 2km from the exchange and therefore an estimation of my synch speed should be 2.0km = 27.6dB = 18Mbit so I should see at least 1mb download rate. However this is not the case, the maximum I got when I first changed over to ADSL2+ is 620kb/s (still 70kb/s slower to what it was previously) I am clearly not getting that or anywhere near that. And as time progressed it has actually slowed down further to about 550kb/s.

After calling technical support and telling them all this the only thing that was said was that they are sorry but the minimum speed for adsl2+ is 110kb/s. And would not help me any further. I have a mate that lives about 5 minutes down the road he's approximately the same distant from the exchange and on the same plan as I am and he receives a download rate of 1.3 MB/s.

I have ruled out that it isn't the routers fault as I have swapped it over with another one and it is still the same, nor is it the pc's fault whether wireless or wired as I have tried it with every PC I own in this house.

Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the life story. Its sadly been a long road to nowhere with telstra Smiley Sad

Oh, and on a side note after upgrading to ADSL2+ I did see an increase in upload speed form 30kb/s to 100kb/s and that remained the same even though my download rate has slowed down.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Internet speeds slowed significantly for months

You are definately connected via ADSL2+. Based on your attenuation the max sync speed you can expect is around 6Mbps, so you aren't too far under that.

The only thing I can suggest is performing an isolation test as outline in the link below to see if there is anything in your setup that might be introducing some noise/attenuation.
http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Ok so I did an isolation test and the speeds went back to normal so it was the splitter doing the damage. I just realised that my splitter is C10245E and not C10245M. Telstra didn't supply me with one when I upgraded my connection to ADSL2+. I called them up and they said I would have to pay for it + delivery so I said don't worry. 

I went down to JB and I purchased the C10245M and it works perfectly now. All this trouble for so long and it was this little filter causing the problem...

Thank you for your help, it didn't even cross my mind to check the filter out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Without knowing what exchange you are on, this sounds like it could be exchange/RIM congestion. If this is the case, it won't matter what speed your modem syncs at, your actual throughput will be impacted.

Are you able to post your modem stats at all?
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted

Yeah sure.

DSL Connection 

Link Information

Uptime:0 days, 18:37:54
DSL Type:G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,022 / 5,288
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]:828.86 / 1.67
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.0 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:28.0 / 47.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:7.0 / 7.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):84 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):76 / 57,803,801
CRC Errors (Up/Down):76 / 430
HEC Errors (Up/Down):654 / 305

and my exchange is the Sydenham exchage in VIC

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You are definately connected via ADSL2+. Based on your attenuation the max sync speed you can expect is around 6Mbps, so you aren't too far under that.

The only thing I can suggest is performing an isolation test as outline in the link below to see if there is anything in your setup that might be introducing some noise/attenuation.
http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Ok so I did an isolation test and the speeds went back to normal so it was the splitter doing the damage. I just realised that my splitter is C10245E and not C10245M. Telstra didn't supply me with one when I upgraded my connection to ADSL2+. I called them up and they said I would have to pay for it + delivery so I said don't worry. 

I went down to JB and I purchased the C10245M and it works perfectly now. All this trouble for so long and it was this little filter causing the problem...

Thank you for your help, it didn't even cross my mind to check the filter out.

Highlighted

Great to read that you were able to solve your problem so easily Smiley Happy

Thanks for coming back and updating us.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I have been a telstra customer for over 20 years, I have a

@Asdas wrote:

Hi there,

We first made the switch to bigpond roughly about 2 years ago. First of all when we swapped over we were told we were going to have ADSL2+ and that's why we actually made the switch from tpg to telstra (telstra owns the copper at our exchange so we could only get ADLS2+ through them). For all this time our download rate was at around 700kb/s with an average of 630kb/s. I therefore assumed we were on ADSL2+.

About 3 months ago this speed significantly dropped to a maximum of 400kb/s on a good day and for the majority of the time it did not surpass 330kb/s. Our speed had halved pretty much. I called technical support and they said that my line was capped to 4Mb/s so they upgraded it to a level 2. The technician removed the 4Mb/s cap that was put on by people at telstra without our knowledge and therefore had apparently been fixed but I did not see the speed go past 500kb/s.

So from a maximum of 700kb/s it still remained at a speed that is less to what it should be.

It was then brought to my attention after calling technical support a further 3 times to help me resolve this issue that my plan was in fact ADSL liberty 200GB not ADSL2+ and therefore they suggested I upgrade to ADSL2+. And so I did. In the mean time while the upgrade was in progress my Internet dropped for pretty much a whole day, I think it was around the 5-6 hour mark when it finally came back as ADSL2+. 

I did a speed test thinking now that its ADSL2+ that I'll get great speeds. I live approximately 2km from the exchange and therefore an estimation of my synch speed should be 2.0km = 27.6dB = 18Mbit so I should see at least 1mb download rate. However this is not the case, the maximum I got when I first changed over to ADSL2+ is 620kb/s (still 70kb/s slower to what it was previously) I am clearly not getting that or anywhere near that. And as time progressed it has actually slowed down further to about 550kb/s.

After calling technical support and telling them all this the only thing that was said was that they are sorry but the minimum speed for adsl2+ is 110kb/s. And would not help me any further. I have a mate that lives about 5 minutes down the road he's approximately the same distant from the exchange and on the same plan as I am and he receives a download rate of 1.3 MB/s.

I have ruled out that it isn't the routers fault as I have swapped it over with another one and it is still the same, nor is it the pc's fault whether wireless or wired as I have tried it with every PC I own in this house.

Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the life story. Its sadly been a long road to nowhere with telstra Smiley Sad

Oh, and on a side note after upgrading to ADSL2+ I did see an increase in upload speed form 30kb/s to 100kb/s and that remained the same even though my download rate has slowed down.

I have been a Telstra customer for over 20 years. I have mobile broadband package as we only get wireless, I also have 2 mobile phone plans and a landline.I have just paid nearly $800 for a "smart antenna" so that our mobiles aren't tethered to the external antenna. Our internet is a total joke, at some  times during the day we get reasonable speed but on the average it is so slow that we time out. I'm effing sick of it. i pay througth the nose for a service that is absolute crap! Maybe there is some solution to the problem....as yet to find out.....unhappy customer Smiley Sad

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit