br1dgew1re
Level 1: Cadet

Internet speeds slowed significantly for months

Hi Guys,

Any explaination why the general internet performance has slowed considerbly for the last few months?

I've noticed this at home and work. My neighbours all have the same issue. Could this be the take up of streaming services that affect the speeds as this seems to occur predominantly at certain times of the day...

Paul

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Internet speeds slowed significantly for months

There has been a huge level of extra speed issues between all the ISP over the last few months, it would appear that the streaming services have made a large portion of the extra, but we are constantly moving to more immersive web experiences and they come with great data usage...

in a lot of areas, Telstra Wholesale are doing a heap of relief work on the exchanges, increasing the exchanges bandwidth capabilities in order to decrease the backhaul.

They are pretty good about it all and lucky for everyone make the information about what is being done and roughly when available for anyone to see, so on the page here you can check reports for if there is any work going to be done on your local exchange which might help;
http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

berenger24
Level 3: Gumshoe

I am on Cable Ultimate (100mbps) but for weeks now in the evenings maximum i get is 6mbps...

Telstra as usual not doing anything about it no matter how many times I contact them.... 

DOCIS 3.0, congention possible?

DrQ

Congestion would be playing a part but it really shouldn't make it any less then maybe 50Mbps and that would only be during absolute peak time. It is much more likely a fault playing a part as well - otherwise if it is solely congestion they need to fix that up because that isn't Normal or really acceptable. When I had cable before I moved, during peak I dropped to about 88-90Mbps, the lowest it hit was about 72Mbps on one night, but there was a huge storm outside so I put it down to more people being home... If you Call tech support, tell them you have been through all the fixes on numerous occasions and you really need to get it sorted and would like them to book a technician. They wil usually do it, especially if you have called them a couple of times and it is listed on your account.

If they don't help if you call 132200 and say disconnect, speak to the disconnection team, tell them you are not happy paying for a service which isn't being provided and you can't get any help from tech support and you need it either fixed or you are going to consider changing providers and they should be able to make something happen.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

DaleCooper_
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, mine have been approx 70% slower from what they were a few months ago.

we are on ADSL2 and relativley close to the exchange, in a new apartment block with new wiring. Previous speeds were approx 12Mbps. At time of writing this, it is approx 2Mbps.

it's frustrating as hell. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit