Gelly4
Level 1: Cadet

Internet stuttering

Hello, this problem started accuring roughly a week ago and i notice it while i am playing games my internet will constantly stutter every 3-5 seconds it will drop for half a second which makes it extremely frustrating and unplayably. the speed of the connection is fine it just stutters, i hotspotted my pc to my phone data and the connection was slower but no stutters so its not my pc causing the stutters and iv tryed looking for solutions but no success. If anyone knows the problem or may have a idea how to fix please reply Thanks!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Internet stuttering

I have not experienced the problem or know of anything to fix the problem but the first thing to do is to try to determine what is causing the Internet to stutter. To find out what is causing the stuttering download and install ping plotter and run a test. The results should indicate which hop link between your device and the server is causing the stuttering.

Gelly4

i installed ping plotter and had a look, the first line which is my modem i think gets 0-1.6% packetloss at 2 packets a second but if i change it to 10 packets a second it goes up to 75% packet loss

cf4

It depends on which hop the packet loss is occurring whether it is the modem. If packet loss occurs in first hop it could be either the modem or the device that ping plotter is installed on. If there is no loss on first hop but loss on second hop it could be a fault on NBN link.

Gelly4

Heres a screen shot of what im now seeing, every thing has PL but mainly first one. i dont know what this means but does this make any sense to what is happening?

Gelly4

I hotspotted my pc to mobile data and there is no PL and i also downlowded the app to my ipad(which is connected to wifi) and there was no PL. so it seems just to be my pc having issues connecting with the wifi

cf4

You could try changing a few WiFi settings in the modem such as changing WiFi channels. If your PC is dual band change the 5 GHz WiFi channel from Auto to a non DFS channel (example 36 or 149). Change 2.4 GHz WiFi channel from auto to one between 1 and 11.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit