Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Ip addressing continually changing

Answered

I had a Telstra Cable service here for 14+ years. As it is protected via a UPS, the ip address literally changed 3 times? due to service updates.

 

Since 'upgrading' to NBN, the ip address sometimes changes multiple times per day. This is simply unacceptable. I literally pay more for this service and it is not behaving in a logical manner, nor do I believe it is working as efficiently as the Cable setup. It is physically the 'same' cable that was used previously, now described as 'hybrid cable'. I do not see that paying additional money for a fixed ip address is the solution here, This is purely an NBN/Telstra fault, or a blatant cash grab as there is no technical reason for the constant changes.

 

Has anyone else found if there a way to stop the NBN black box from 'shutting down' and re assigning the external ip.

 

Cheers

 

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Ip addressing continually changing

Your equipment doesn't trigger the change in IP address, that is done from the NBN side of things. And yes, the port forwarding can be tricky to get working properly on the modem. @cf4 might be able to give you some pointers as he's far more experienced with those modems.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

  • Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Ip addressing continually changing

It sounds like a fault if it doing it multiple times a day. Does the NBN NTD reboot (possible hardware fault), or is it just the address changing (which sounds like an NBN network issue).

 

It will change periodically as the dhcp lease expires and is renewed, which shouldn't cause any issues (unless you are wanting to provide external access to your network - in which case you need a static IP or use a Dynamic DNS service).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Ip addressing continually changing

Jupiter,

 

As a bit of a newbie on the Arcadyan routers and indeed NBN. My NBN box and the router should have no requirement to renew the lease as it is always powered on via the UPS. I know lease times can be varied, but usually they are around 24hrs...

 

 


@Jupiter wrote:

It sounds like a fault if it doing it multiple times a day. Does the NBN NTD reboot (possible hardware fault), or is it just the address changing (which sounds like an NBN network issue).

 

 


 

I dont know how to tell if the NBN black box is rebooting at all. The logs inside the Arcadyan router seem a bit vague to say the least-not that I am a telco tech, but the Netgear i was using had quite obvious entries..

 

It will change periodically as the dhcp lease expires and is renewed, which shouldn't cause any issues (unless you are wanting to provide external access to your network - in which case you need a static IP or use a Dynamic DNS service).


Yes, i do have servers etc that backup to each other and it is just easier to use the external ip address. As mentioned changing it 3 times in 14+ years isnt a problem...

 

Again a Yes answer, I can use DDNS, but that has its own issues, as the port forwarding feature on the Arcadyan box seems to be 'fussy'...The 'port forwards' only work when UDP is defaulted to 'all on'. (likely for name resolution?). My previous Netgear routers would allow this process-open tcp/udp, but not this Arcadyan.. I dont particularly like all the ports open for obvious security issues and port sniffers.

 

Thanks heaps for the response tho...Much more help than answering 'No' to the Telstra questionnaire about NBN satisfaction. I have responded 3 times, same answer...:-(

 

Maybe i need to piggyback the old Netgear off this Arcadyan as per my previous install was Ng3100 to ng3700.

 

Thanks again

 

G

 

 

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Ip addressing continually changing

Your equipment doesn't trigger the change in IP address, that is done from the NBN side of things. And yes, the port forwarding can be tricky to get working properly on the modem. @cf4 might be able to give you some pointers as he's far more experienced with those modems.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Ip addressing continually changing

Oops, accidentally clicked solution....tried to remove the tick box....doh.

 

Yeah, shall send a note to @cf4....thanks again

 

Cheers

 

G

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Ip addressing continually changing


@Gumby2 wrote:

I dont know how to tell if the NBN black box is rebooting at all. The logs inside the Arcadyan router seem a bit vague to say the least-not that I am a telco tech, but the Netgear i was using had quite obvious entries..

 

 


Compared to the Technicolor modems I find the Arcadyan modem logs quite easy to read. To check if there is network link fault filter the log by WAN events. Look for IPv4 and or IPv6 timeouts events.

 


@Gumby2 wrote:

 

Again a Yes answer, I can use DDNS, but that has its own issues, as the port forwarding feature on the Arcadyan box seems to be 'fussy'...The 'port forwards' only work when UDP is defaulted to 'all on'. (likely for name resolution?). My previous Netgear routers would allow this process-open tcp/udp, but not this Arcadyan.. I dont particularly like all the ports open for obvious security issues and port sniffers.

 

Thanks heaps for the response tho...Much more help than answering 'No' to the Telstra questionnaire about NBN satisfaction. I have responded 3 times, same answer...:-(

 

Maybe i need to piggyback the old Netgear off this Arcadyan as per my previous install was Ng3100 to ng3700.

 

Thanks again

 

G

 

 


There are instructions for setting up port forwarding in section 9 off the document linked in this post.

You can use your old Netgear ng3700 as your main router by connecting it directly to the NBN NCD and if you need a phone service connect the Arcadyan's WAN port to a LAN port of the ng3700.

 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit