rustybubble
Level 1: Cadet

Is my router faulty?

Answered

After I reboot my Telstra SmartModem Gen 2, I logon to the router and see that it reports a speed of > 700 Mbps for 5Ghz Wifi. This quickly falls to below 200 Mbps and often below 100 Mbps. Thereafter, the router rarely reports a speed of > 200 Mbps.

Likewise, the 5 GHz signal strength seen by my extender is high after rebooting the router and rapidly falls to around 230 Mbps or lower.

Is my router faulty or is this par-for-the-course for NBN?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Is my router faulty?

The speed will vary depending on which device is using WiFi and the capabilities of that device. Even when a device is connected it doesn't use the WiFi 100% of the time. As different devices use the WiFi the speed displayed in the modem will vary.

To mark a message as not the answer click the three dots top right of the reply and select not the solution. I have done this for you.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4

Your router is not faulty. The speed reported by the modem is the WiFi physical speed and is the theoretrical speed of the WiFi link which will depend on the type of modulation used, the signal strength and background noise. The physical speed of the WiFi link depends on the capabilities of both the devices connected to the modem's WiFi and the capabilities of the modem's WiFi. The speed will vary depending on which devices are connected and using the WiFi.

If you have the Technicolor version of the modem there is a WiFi client monitor at Advanced > WiFi > Client Monitor. This tool will display the capabilities of selected WiFi devices.

rustybubble
Level 1: Cadet

I did NOT mean to accept this as a solution! Pre-checking this checkbox seems incredibly confusing. I tried to uncheck it and was informed that I had accepted the solution. ???????

I appreciate your response but I do not understand.

The router has wifi links to multiple devices, some close by (my son's devices) and one at the opposite end of the house (extender). So I don't understand what the speed reported by the router even means. It bears no apparent relationship to the PHY rates reported by the client monitor.

I expect the WIFI signal strength to vary somewhat, but what I am seeing beggars belief.

After being less than 200 Mbps for hours, its showed  433 Mbps for a short time. A few minutes later and its back to 75 Mbps. How could it change so much in so short a time?

I am highly perplexed.

cf4
Accepted Solution

The speed will vary depending on which device is using WiFi and the capabilities of that device. Even when a device is connected it doesn't use the WiFi 100% of the time. As different devices use the WiFi the speed displayed in the modem will vary.

To mark a message as not the answer click the three dots top right of the reply and select not the solution. I have done this for you.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit