Angry01
Level 2: Rookie

Is Telstra still an operating business?

So how does one speak to someone at Telstra?

Their contact numbers don't work (ranging from there is a 30-40 minute wait and then "sorry the office is closed", to simply being disconnected once I've done my wait). The chat app doesn't work (it says "your conversation will launch shortly" but never does). I did manage to get through to someone on Facebook who suggested all the options I already tried and now won't answer.

I've done all the usual (clear the cache, the cookies, rebooted) but no one onsite responds.

The only option I haven't tried is the "Telstra app". I am not going to download an app for my phone so I can message them about my internet service, when I can't contact them on the internet.

And they have the temerity to up the charges when they can't even fulfill the obligations they already have. SMH.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Dowser
Level 20: Director

Re: Is Telstra still an operating business?

Could you please elaborate on your internet issues.

Communicating via the My Telstra app has the advantage that you do not have to sit at your computer waiting for a response (which can take some time).

Angry01

My charges have gone up $16 p/m. No explanation, no nothing. The plan is no longer competitive, but I can't contact anyone to discuss it.

Apparently Telstra cannot talk on the phone with me (I was disconnected on one occassion, on another I got through the correct place which then gave me an unhelpful automated response and disconnected, and yet another, I was put through to a dead line). WHY would I think the Telstra app would be better?

Rohan123
Level 19: Deputy Director

Hi @Angry01 

Telstra don't like to talk on the phone these days and are changing there numbers all the time.

If you are on nbn this number will get you through to sales 1800 709 957 not to sure of the call center's operating hours ! it is Brisbane based. 

Hold times may be long though during peak times.

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

"Office Hours" are mostly 8am to 8pm AEST. Anything outside that time will generally not get a response by any contact method.

The app on the mobile does work better as you don't have to actively wait on it for a response. You get a notification when they respond so you can go about doing other things while you wait. It can take a few hours to get an initial response and there can be long delays between responses as the consultants are each monitoring multiple chat sessions at once.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Angry01

Yep, the moment I said my fees had gone up they hung up on me. My only question now it..how do I leave Telstra when I can't talk to anyone? There isn't a "sever services" button.

Dowser

To terminate a service you could try phoning 132200 and saying “disconnect”.

Which internet plan are you currently on?.

Angry01

In addition to the issues I've already outlined, getting the app requires a Google account on the phone (for android). It took quite sometime figuring out how to untangle my Google ID from my phone and then they hounded me for months to put it back on. I am not going there again so Telstra can keep my business.

I neither want nor need Microsoft to organise my days, Google to open doors for me, or Tesla to drive my car for me. I simply want internet access at a reasonable price. Apparently that is too much to ask these days.

Sorry for the rant. Right or not, I blame it on constant frustration.

Angry01

The 500GB at $75 p/m but interestingly, my bill is for $76.

Angry01

BTW, Under the guidance of my Telstra facebook companion I tried that yesterday. I ended up with a dead line.

Dowser

You could also try in person at a Telstra store.

Simply terminating your service without signing up to another ISP will result in loss of internet service which could be inconvenient.

Jupiter

You'd be stuffed where I work then. The only way to get into the office is via an app on your phone.

The $1 discrepancy on your bill could be for a non-included item on your plan (eg a phone call to a non-standard/premium number). The above plan costs will be listed on your bill.

Note: you can't terminate your service at a Telstra Store, you either need to call 132200, or send a message either using the My Telstra app or the Website.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Luke_Groves
Level 6: Bloodhound

Hey @Jupiter 

You can in fact terminate services at a Telstra Store

Luke |
Moving House: https://www.telstra.com.au/moving-house
Got a Fault: https://fix.telstra.com/
Need Contact: https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us
Jupiter

There have been a lot of people who have tried that coming on here to say that they were told by the stores that they couldn't.

If they can, then roll on Telstra's takeover to run all the stores directly so that there is some consistency in their operation.

Dowser

@Jupiter wrote:

If they can, then roll on Telstra's takeover to run all the stores directly so that there is some consistency in their operation.

I agree.

By the way, I asked the question today at a Telstra Store (licensee ran) and was told it is possible if the person is the account holder.

However, as you said that might not be the case in every Telstra Store.  It would be nice if they had a consistent model like Apple.

Rohan123

@Angry01  You are probably past the point of trying this.

But if it were me, I would be ringing that number until someone did something!

Be Nice when the sales agent first connects with you.

Explain the ordeal you have been going through.

You will find someone companionate eventually.

Keep in mind these people are from sales, They don't get gold stars from the Team Leaders for helping to settle a dispute over a price increase! 

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Angry01

Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions.

I did finally manage to get through to the 132200 number. *Thumbsup*

Despite all the offers Telstra put to me, they still weren't competitive. What Telstra is offering as the $90, 50kbps, Unlimited plan, is offered elsewhere for $54.90p/m for 6 months and then for $70p/m thereafter ($6 less than Telstra want for the 25kbps with a 500GB limit I'm on now), with no contract, no setup etc. And the modems are unlocked. PLUS, there are real people on the other end of the phone that you can talk to and will answer questions! So I went with them.

FYI, something I discovered yesterday which someone else reading this might not realise, "Belong" is a cheaper subsidiary of Telstra. Maybe they should have called it "Beware". :-D

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit