Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Is Telstra throttling cable download speeds due to high demand?

Answered

I have an unlimited Telstra cable plan. The bills have been paid and are up to date.

Everything appears to be working as usual but after running multiple speed tests last night and this morning I am consistently only getting 5mbps download speeds.

Given the recent lockdown laws would lead to an increase demand on internet usage, is it possible Telstra is throttling my connection (and the connections of others in my area)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Is Telstra throttling cable download speeds due to high demand?

It sounds more like your cable service is not working and you are on LTE backup (6/1Mbps).

Which modem do you have, and what colour are the lights on it?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

It sounds more like your cable service is not working and you are on LTE backup (6/1Mbps).

Which modem do you have, and what colour are the lights on it?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I think you are right about the backup wireless connection kicking in. This is strange because Telstra are not reporting any outages in my area.

This is highly frustrating as I’m currently getting 1mbps making work from home and video conferencing almost impossible with two people using the connection.

Shouldn’t the backup connection be running at a higher speed? I feel like perhaps the backup connection is being throttled. In the past I have achieved much higher speeds from the backup connection when the cable has gone out.

Highlighted

If you reach your quota limit (somewhere around 10GB), then it gets throttled to 256kbps.

If that happens, then the only remedy is to call 132200 and get them to submit the webform to get it unshaped.

Otherwise, there is no throttling.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit