GeoffWA
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Is this the new improved customer support?

Answered

I've had an issue with FTTN connection that has operated for maybe 3 yrs.

Salient points.

Usual sync just under 60 down, on 50/20 plan.

Connection dropped out early March and would not reconnect.

NBN attended and diagnosed aerial cable up the street was damaged. In short term they ran a 1 or two pair bypass for me until the larger cable could be replaced.

On Monday this week NBN techs replaced the cable up the street. After they packed up and left the modem has not connected and operated only on 4G.

I contacted Telstra support via Web Chat on Tuesday, went through the modem checks etc and support operator said NBN would need to attend and they would contact me.

I get a message from Telstra on my phone on Thursday to click on link to resolve my issue. I haven't heard from NBN so I click on the link and enter Chat. If this is the level of Telstra support I have to ask am I being too fussy to expect better? It's been over an hour and haven't had any further response.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GeoffWA
Accepted Solution

Re: Is this the new improved customer support?

The FTTN service is now back on but I don't really know what the issue was since ~ 10 days ago.

The promised call back on Tuesday didn't happen and it appeared the 4G backup was shaped to <1Mbs. I called the 132200 again and had to do the diagnostics, this time operator remotely did a factory reset on modem, I just thought they were rebooting it and realised later when no wifi devices would connect. Anyway operator concluded NBN would need to attend and made a booking for Wed am. I half expected a following text saying NBN are not coming but tech arrived. It was the original tech that said cable needed replacing, he placed a signal injector on line and headed up the street. He was back 10-15 minutes later, connected his modem to line and synced up. Connected line in Telstra modem and it synced up. He gave me the thumbs up and as he was heading out door I asked what was the issue, his reply was brief and almost elusive like "needed to flick a switch". So on this occasion it appears I was stuck in a loop for 10 days for simple flick of a switch.

Anyway if anyone with influence on management of Telstra support sees this the Telstra chat app system is poor with failure to review existing verbage in chat. There is a lack of review of relevant notes by most operators in an ongoing fault and poor collaboration with NBN (that may be NBN's fault but ISP's have more control over that compared to the end user's none).

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Unfortunately a lot of consultants don't take the time to read the previous comments.

It can take a few hours between responses as the consultants are working on multiple chat sessions at once. Also, they may have escalated it to their manager and are waiting for them to look into it.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
GeoffWA

The fact that "a lot of consultants don't take the time to read previous comments". Why, is not like they save time by asking the same script again? 

I appreciate they will operate several chat windows at once and they may have to refer things upwards but it's three instances of thread dormant for more than 4 hrs and only revived by my bumps. I RQ'd the chat after last operator failed to reply.

What is the mission of customer support, seems more like a firewall or deterrent to stop customers annoying the provider. If I could talk directly to NBN I could resolve the issue but instead have to waste hrs with what I would describe as a pathetic system, and at this point I am still in the dark to steps to resolution. If email address changeover wasn't an issue I would be jumping ship.

Jupiter

You could try using the Contact Us form on the NBN Co page and complain to them that their crews cut out your connection when they replaced the cable. Make sure you give them the location and suggest that they do some Quality Control on their works. It may get some action (it may also just get you the standard "we don't talk to customers, go talk to your RSP" response, at which point you should lodge a complaint about NBN Co with the TIO about the lack of due care when performing maintenance works).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
GeoffWA

I tried the 132200  line on Saturday morning, was surprised to be talking to someone within 5 minutes. Went through the same diagnostics again then operator said NBN would need to attend. A booking was made for Monday am. Within a few hours I get the text that NBN no longer required to attend and click on link to enter chat to resolve issue. So not going down that rabbit hole again I called 132200 and was though to operator in a very reasonable time. After explaining the fault and reporting history it was refreshing to hear operator say "I am looking through the notes of this over last month and can see that". Operator then went on to say NBN is rejecting bookings, he said he can't see why so he would need to talk to them and he would call me back that day. About an hour later I get the text "click link to open chat and resolve your issue". No way am I using that waste of time. So in about half an hour I get a call back from operator and they say NBN is rejecting bookings because they have outstanding job to connect cable in pit but they don't have a schedule for when it will happen. I mentioned the text with chat link and operator says ignore that and he will call me Tuesday to follow up. Since then I have received the same text / chat link another 3 times, I'm guessing because modem is continuously on backup. So the experience so far, 132200 is a usable means to resolution, the chat window via the Telstra app is a waste of time.

Jupiter

With the NBN Co booking, what they do is a remote check of the service and then cancel the booking if they can't see a problem. That can happen a few times and the only way around that is to rebook via Telstra. 

If they have a booking in place to connect the cable in the pit, then they know about the problem and know what the resolution is. Just waiting for a crew to become available to perform the works. Not anything that Telstra can do about that. The only way to get further information would be contacting NBN Co directly

GeoffWA
Accepted Solution

The FTTN service is now back on but I don't really know what the issue was since ~ 10 days ago.

The promised call back on Tuesday didn't happen and it appeared the 4G backup was shaped to <1Mbs. I called the 132200 again and had to do the diagnostics, this time operator remotely did a factory reset on modem, I just thought they were rebooting it and realised later when no wifi devices would connect. Anyway operator concluded NBN would need to attend and made a booking for Wed am. I half expected a following text saying NBN are not coming but tech arrived. It was the original tech that said cable needed replacing, he placed a signal injector on line and headed up the street. He was back 10-15 minutes later, connected his modem to line and synced up. Connected line in Telstra modem and it synced up. He gave me the thumbs up and as he was heading out door I asked what was the issue, his reply was brief and almost elusive like "needed to flick a switch". So on this occasion it appears I was stuck in a loop for 10 days for simple flick of a switch.

Anyway if anyone with influence on management of Telstra support sees this the Telstra chat app system is poor with failure to review existing verbage in chat. There is a lack of review of relevant notes by most operators in an ongoing fault and poor collaboration with NBN (that may be NBN's fault but ISP's have more control over that compared to the end user's none).

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit