bushyrob21
Level 2: Rookie

iView - Telstra Official Please Explain...

Will someone in the know from Telstra please explain why ABC's iView is part of my monthly allowance when other major ISPs make it available unmetered. With the Squillians you earn each year, isn't it time you gave us back an occasional apple (piece of fruit, that is...)?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Re: iView - Telstra Official Please Explain...

When you say 'other major ISPs' I assume you are talking about iiNet (and it's subsidiary companies) as well as a few smaller players.

Generally speaking unmetered access is provided to Value-Added-Services that sit within the Telstra/Bigpond eco-system. It's also because the server farms that the content come from sit within the Telstra/Bigpond network, so the costs of providing the bandwidth and service are smaller.

In the end the bandwidth that iView would use across such a large customer base has real costs for the ISP. In this case it's a cost that Telstra/Bigpond aren't willing to give away for 'free'.

Also, the same could be said for any number of things, and where is the line to be drawn? Unmetered content is a bonus. Bigpond already offer plans with significant download allowances. On a final note, imagine the load that could be generated on mobile broadband if people were streaming iView non-stop.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Wanglese
Level 22: Superhuman

Everything Kalak has said is correct.

I'll add the following

Do you think that other ISP's should give unmetered access to Bigpond Channels, video feeds etc?

I'd like unmetered  iView, SBS, and all the other channels on demand too, but it isn't going to happen because you or I want it

It's down to a commercial agreement.

Besides, get a 200 or 500GB plan. You surely can't use that up watching iView (I've never gone over my 500GB plan watching the odd Youtube, SBS catchup or iView.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Drat

bushyrob21 wrote:

Will someone in the know from Telstra please explain why ABC's iView is part of my monthly allowance when other major ISPs make it available unmetered.

Call it a business decision, the rationale for which you and I as Telstra customers and members of the Australian public have no right to be privy.

With the Squillians you earn each year, isn't it time you gave us back an occasional apple (piece of fruit, that is...)?

Telstra is not a public sector organisation. What it offers commercially for the asking price is published and clearly known up front, and prospective customers can assess the value for money they will receive, prior to making a purchasing decision. Expecting to be given more after you've made the choice to sign up is misguided, however profitable the organisation as a whole, or your custom in particular, proves to be. If you feel other ISPs are more competitive in their offers, perhaps you should consider awarding them your custom, if they can and will provide you with the service you want. (If they cannot, then the point of what they offer other consumers is moot.)

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
pjm
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

lol - maybe you should ask the other ISP's why bigpond movies or foxtel aren't available unmetered!
bushyrob21
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for the replies to my post. I live rurally in an area where I can't get cable or ADSL. I am limited to BigPond 3G Wireless with its limitations on monthly allowances and connection speeds. I use an external beam antenna which gives me excellent signal strength on a line of site path to the cell in town, 6km away as the crow flies. Telephone cable run is too far for ADSL. Main problem is congestion as more users connect to the wireless cell. Often this can slow down speeds to those of dial-up. I have 8Gb a month and don't want to go up to 15Gb because of the extra cost. We're not supposed to be penalised because we choose to live in the bush, but reality shows we are. Choosing other providers is not really an option out here and I'm otherwise happy with Telstra. They've gone to enormous lengths to help me when I've experienced problems with my internet.

Wanglese

Understood,  Have you got NBN provisions coming, and will it make a difference?

I agree with you on the 3G limitations. Never understood why 3G doesn't simply get the data allowances that ADSL gets.  Infrastructure perhaps?

But yeah, now I see your issue.  I can understand your frustration.

If you could get iView over 3G/4G without penalty or speed degradation, this would go a long way to making your life easier, but again, it's a commercial decision, and for exaclty the same reason the alternate ISP's stay around the cities.

Nevermind, when civilisation collapses, you'll be in the box seat while the cities shrivel up and inner city types starve, and you can get payback.Smiley Wink

Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Kalak

I guess my last point already rings true for you. If you already experience congestion slowing you to almost dial-up speeds, imagine the additional usage/congestion caused by people streaming video unmetered all the time.

Hopefully NBN reaches you soon.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Drat

bushyrob21 wrote:

I have 8Gb a month and don't want to go up to 15Gb because of the extra cost. We're not supposed to be penalised because we choose to live in the bush, but reality shows we are.

While I understand the frustration, the use of such emotive words such as “penalised” (which falls into the same basket as the all-too-frequently misused words like “rort”, “scam” and “rip-off”) to frame your situation is counter-productive, and only serves to inflate your sense of alienation. You are no more penalised by the constraints on your choice of broadband access technologies and corresponding service plans on offer, due to limited telecommunications infrastructure being available where you choose to live, than I am penalised by not getting clean, fresh air to breathe because I choose to live in a built-up urban area. Sure, from time to time I could get away from the city to breathe clean air, but I don't want to do that in my off hours because of the cost of travel.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
crazyed66
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Gosh guys some of these posts seem so defensive, it would be a GOOD business decision to make iview un-metered as it IS offered by ISPs other than IINET (inc its supporting isps) and more networks are including it (many have publicly stated so) in the future.

Iview is a part of the ABC, Australia's own and Telstra is (to me anyway 🙂 )  the old ozzie telco behemoth so logically offering up iview seems logical and damn good business sense in the long run (imagine the advertising they could use for that).

bushyrob21, squillians?? lol. These guys are right though that Telstra is a business that is trying to make money (I won't support one that isn't lol) and like IINET and all the others it will provide what services it sees will increase profits, whether through direct sales of the service or indirect benefits by offering the service free.

I to would LOVE to see iview included on the tbox personally though! (just in case any higher management may read this 🙂 )

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Considering the Buy in with Foxtel (Foxtel is 50% owned by Telstra, see the "Tel" in Foxtel) I see it as a commercially bad decision to offer TV via iView for Free when it can just as easily charge for similar content via Foxtel.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

crazyed66

Ben_F I would agree but comparing the 2 (Iview and Foxtel) is like comparing and dvd recorder with a TV studio.

Iview is limited to ABC shows and is an 'on demand' service only, it is a supporting service of a free to air digital channel. The downside to Foxtel on Tbox (at the moment) is that you can't record (including pause,rewind etc.and I know only because I have it so this isn't a product complaint just stating a fact 🙂 ) the shows so if you miss the show It's to bad. Iview is on demand so the show (for what ever period they set) is available to watch. The shows on offer also don't really compare (except maybe UKTV), its not just prime dramas etc its also shows like 730 report, 4 corners and alot of other "LOCAL" based programs which will not appear on pay TV. It is the "LOCAL" content that I really like on Iview (ie shows/specials I may have missed at the scheduled time), I assume it is the same for most people wanting Iview free on Telstra.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

To date, no-one has explained how Telstra will see a quantifiable return on investment for taking the time to ensure that their Usage Meter's classify iView as Unmetered.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Wanglese

Exactly. It's all about getting things for free (with the exeption of those on wireless - as someone higher up in the thread mentions).

iView, SBS on demand, catchup with 7. Give iView, and someone will come along asking for the others.  Then YouTube movies, VODO, Vimeo.

No commercial enterprise should be expected to give anything for free unless there is a return somewhere else.

Let me ask others  Would you be prepared to pay extra dollars to get unlimited iView?

crazyed66

Ok I agree but Bushyrob is talking about is 'Iview' not youtube or Vimeo etc, what others will ask for tomorrow or next week is irrelevant and all I was trying to do was put a contextual spin on the argument ie:

Iview is LOCAL and socially relevant

Iview is offered FREE to the public (not including bandwidth)

So I imagine contractual obligations/limitations would be different for Iview compared to say Foxtel. 

(but that is for the buisiness guru's to sought out)

"To date, no-one has explained how Telstra will see a quantifiable return on investment for taking the time to ensure that their Usage Meter's classify iView as Unmetered."

Beyond most forum members I imagine 🙂

Am I happy with what I have? absolutely!

But as a customer I can state my interest in the idea of Unmetered Iview, how they offer it is up to them (Telstra) although I imagine the ABC would have a problem with anyone offering Iview at a charge.

and finally if someone is wanting youtube unmetered or vimeo etc (and I am sure they have already asked 🙂 ) They will ask

Wanglese

Don't get me wrong, I also would like iView, specifically on the T-Box.

Iview is offered free to the public.

As is SBS, 7, 10,

So is everything I mentioned.

I'm hoping NITV gets a web presence too.

Socially relevant?

Local?

Dr Who, Red Dwarf, Spooks, Qi, Misfits, Breaking Bad, Mega Builders, Blade of the Immortal? 

Most of which I like BTW. 

I DO get where you are coming from, and to *some* extent I agree.

I get Iview. If I to over my 500gb. I don't expect to be able to ask Telstra to treat me different because I want IView.

I too would like Iview for free but you haven't given a return on investment to Telstra who like any business are responsible to shareholders.

Meanwhile, probably the majority of bandwidth is used for torrent downloads.Smiley Tongue

Drat

crazyed66 wrote:

… all I was trying to do was put a contextual spin on the argument ie:

Iview is LOCAL and socially relevant

Iview is offered FREE to the public (not including bandwidth)

Are you also going to petition electricity providers to exempt from charges any power consumption used in accessing ABC iview, or watching the news and community service announcements on free-to-air TV, etc.?

——

crazyed66

"Are you also going to petition electricity providers to exempt from charges any power consumption used in accessing ABC iview, or watching the news and community service announcements on free-to-air TV, etc.?"

No lol!

It was just a suggestion (on my part) I am happy with what I am getting already, So no placards will be waved at Telstra head office by me Smiley Tongue

robfuscate
Level 1: Cadet

Ah Yes. Telstra/Bigpond's famous 'NextJoke'.

'We're a monopoly in the country so we can screw you over and make you pay for the privilege of squealing like a pig'. 

Come the revolution!

Kalak

In reality they aren't though.

I live in Regional QLD. It's 90 minutes drive to the nearest Coles/KMart/BigW/Movies etc.

I'm with iiNet for my home phone, internet and mobile services.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit