ta983
Level 1: Cadet

Just switched to Bigpond ADSL2+ very slow speeds

Answered

Hi guys I just activated my new 500gb ADSL2+ broadband and i did a line speed test and I was getting 350kb/s

I was on the phone to Telstra at the time and the lady was saying she did a line speed test and the speed was at 20mb/s down and 10mb/s up and that I should monitor this over the next 72 hours to see what it does...but I am not convinced it will fix itself

It has become progressivly slower at 58kb/s now. 

this is the info my modem is showing. I'm less than 500m from my exchange and a 39 ms from the server it tested in sydney so I'm really now too sure what's going on. I have tried a download from bigpond, ozspeedtest and speedtest.net.  

Any insight to this would be appreciated.

Link Information

Uptime:0 days, 0:29:09
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1.020 / 16.571
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:19,89 / 424,09
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12,2 / 19,1
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:16,5 / 28,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:7,0 / 6,1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):-
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):3 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):6 / 1.320
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 5
HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 43
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Just switched to Bigpond ADSL2+ very slow speeds

Hi PingellyPete, 

I gather from what you have said is that you have recently moved house?  I can understand the frustration of not having your expectations meet when trying to get your internet installed and can only apologise for this.  

When it comes to speeds attained over ADSL2+ services there are several factors which limit the speed. These factors include:

- The cable distance between your home and the exchange
- The type of cabling and exchange equipment that your service runs through
- The line attenuation
- If there is a fault on the network
- If there is a high demand on your ADSL DSLAM
- The way that your equipment is filtered [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jveAWcZWbVU]
- The equipment that is connected into your phoneline
- If you are connected to the modem via LAN Cable or WiFi
- The number of devices connected to your modem (eg: smart phones, smart TVs, tablets, gaming consoles, computers, etc)
- The number of processes running on those devices. (this includes automatic updates, cloud services, photo sharing etc)

Whirlpool (a 3rd party site) has a good article explaining the relationship between the cable distance, attenuation and the speed that is achievable given the limitations of ADSL as a technology. You can find that article here:http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dslam_speeds

This next link provides information on the things to check in order to get an accurate picture of the speed available to your service: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

If you continue to have concerns regarding your ADSL speed after reviewing the above links, then please contact Tech Support on 133 933 or via Live Chat so that they can perform further tests on the network.

Hope this helps.

- Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
53 REPLIES 53
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Your syncing at 16Mbps Downlink, with 1Mbps up.

I would expect a Data Transfer rate of around 1MB/sec (assuming you max the connection out).

Do you have any other devices connected, and are you connecting wirelessly or via a network cable.

Can you try a speed test as demonstrated at this link (https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/broadband-speed-test-table ) and advise us of the speed?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

ta983

That's what I can't figure out. 

It is wireless at the moment,...will be on Ethernet over Power soon but it should affect ti too much, I'm the only one connected to the modem. Even though 16mb/s sync is a little slow for being so close to the exchange isnt it?

It seems like it is working at the moment 1.12mb/s on that download - that would be right - I will try again tomorrow night around the same time and post results

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@ta983 wrote:

That's what I can't figure out. 

It is wireless at the moment,...will be on Ethernet over Power soon but it should affect ti too much, I'm the only one connected to the modem. Even though 16mb/s sync is a little slow for being so close to the exchange isnt it?

It seems like it is working at the moment 1.12mb/s on that download - that would be right - I will try again tomorrow night around the same time and post results

If its a time of day based issue, it could potentially be congestion.

16Mbps isn't half bad, no matter how far away you are Smiley Happy There are many with less (Including me on about 3-4Mbps) Smiley Tongue

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

wayne1977
Level 2: Rookie

mate im having the same problem i have been with bigpond for over a year the speed was great when i first signed up with bigpond now im getting 11kbs when i download the bigpond online storage of a night time i have rung tech support 500 times i have had people come to my house and they all say the same thing bigpond is conjested and there is nothing they can do about it as telstra wont spend the money to upgrade the exchange but they dont mind taking our money every month for a service that doesnt work come on telstra its 2012 you's are a disgrace

Johney

I to have just moved to bignonia, Hello All, The cd that came with my setup kit was cracked and could not be used had a hell of a time getting connected 50+ plus calls to tech support enough said on that subject. Not a very good start with bigpond so far, and your right about speed very slow compared to my previous server, you would expect telstra to be the best at this game but they are not, so far I am sorry that I moved to this Lilly pad.

Johney

Re: Just switched to Bigpond DAD'S+ very slow speeds

Why is Lilly pad slower in speed than my previous server. TPG was much faster using the same telstra phone line. Is it that TPG are better at their job than telstra ? I need answers to my slow speed !

gregjwilkins

Re: Just switched to Bigpond DAD'S+ very slow speeds

I just switched from TPG to bigpond and I too am VERY DISSAPPOINTED with the loss of speed.

speedtest.net has dropped from about 16Mbs to 13Mbs

Worse still, is that many sites are even slower, like 200KB images taking 6s to download!   I suspect that telstra are giving priority to sites like speedtest.net to make themselves look better, but the underlying performance of the network is just crap!

Seriously considering breaking the contract and going back to TPG!

Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Greg,

If you're concerned about the drops in speed then there is testing we can run to ensure you're running at optimal speeds. Have you given us a call to look into this?

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Emig

Just switched (a week ago) from iinet adsl 1 turbo to telstra adsl2+ and I am getting the same speed.

It looks like no one bothered to change the port at the exchange.

Ping 26ms

Download 5.6 MBPS

Upload 0.71 MBPS

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Your best bet would be to check with our billing team and they can check that you have been placed on the correct plan.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Sneddoh

I too am fed up with the erratic speed, one day it is 20 Mbps today it is 0.6 Mbps - I try to call telstra and informed I have to wait for 18 mins.
DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Sneddoh,

I can appreciate your frustrations with the discrepancy in the speeds that are being achieved with your connection Smiley Sad Due to the nature of the ADSL service being dependent on the phone line service, the speeds are determined by the amount of people that are trying to connect to that same service at the same time as well as distance from the exchange and quality of the line. These ups and downs in the speeds would indicate that at peak times you have slower speeds when more people are online Smiley Sad

You can check if there is any outages that are being worked on in your area via the Telstra Service Status page at:

http://goo.gl/7OJ5D

This is a good resource to check first if you do have connection issues. If nothing is listed then the Tech team is your next contact 24/7.

jgarnold

Well I noticed my internet speed appeared to go slower in the past 2 weeks.

I did a speed test and now get a line speed of 3.41Mbps and a download speed of 427 Kbps - I live approx 2.5 kms from my nearest exchange.

My son uses TPG and is approx 3km from his nearest exchange (further away) and yet gets 5.91Mbps line speed and 738Kbps download speed yet theoretically his speed should be slower as he lives further from an exchange than I do.

I contacted Telstra (24/7 online chat) but was only told that Telstra was doing a software upgrade and could not guarantee an improvement in speed (I'm not even sure if they understood my problem).

I then posted a message via their website expplaining what has been happening and telling them that it is not good enough. I now get web sites displaying "server not found" as it takes so long.

I will be changing my ISP to someone who can promise a better service if the speed doesn't improve.

Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

The first thing you want to do is an isolation test.
http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...
This helps rule out a lot of common causes for slow speeds.

Also, are you able to please post your modem stats (sync speed and attenuation) from before and after the isolation test?
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
OutlawNinja

Well I am so sick of my rubbish internet here.

During the day on weekdays it is average to rubbish, with speeds of maybe: download - 900kbs, upload of 35kbs.

Speedtest result

Evenings and Weekends it is like my service has been flushed down the toilet.

That is a ping from the sunshine coast to brisbane, 1 hours drive !!

I have been on the phone to Bigpond tech so many times, I really just can't face yet another hour long call that solves absolutely nothing.

Spent maybe an hour looking into Internode internet service the other day and 2 days letter an email from bigpong telling us our data limit has been raised to 200gig free of charge, coincidence you say ...?Smiley Wink

Used to get a lovely lady from Telstra phoning to see if there was anything she could do to improve our service here.

I said you bet there is, for ADSL 2 supposed to get 2mb downloads, I get less than half that. She said I am not very good with the technology side of it all. I said well it is akin to buying a V8 commodore and finding out it is running on 4 cylinders ... she said OH!

Then, NBN rollout, our postcode isn't even on the list at all for upgrades in the forseeable future.

Patrice_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi OutlawNinja, 

I am really sorry to hear about the speed issues that you are experiencing. 

Have our technical support team been able to give you any advice on what is causing this? Have they investigated possible congestion issues? 

-Patrice

OutlawNinja

Patrice,

Thanks for your reply.

Distance from exchange and congestion are two of the reasons I have been given.

Basically I get told every time, that there is no problem and speeds are within acceptible limits.

Tried with and without the stability profile on line, done all the isolation tests.

Had techs out to the house on a few occassions. Nothing improves the service.

It is frustrating, that with this industry not giving the customer what they pay for is ok.

Go out for a pizza and only receive half a pizza when you pay for a full one .. unacceptible.

Doesn't matter how many people are at the pizzeria you still get what you pay for.

If the exchange cannot keep up with demand then upgrade it! Or does that make too much sense.

I fully appreciate that this issue will probably never be solved, just frustrating how poor our internet is for a civilized country.

Kalak

If it's line length (distance from the exchange) and localised congestion then sadly no number of tech visits or isolation tests will help. Telstra do upgrade areas with congestion that need it, however it's not always as quick as some would like.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
OutlawNinja

Truer words were never spoken mate.

Appreciate the reply.

tmac12345678

Since the 22nd of April 2015 I have been experiencing very slow internet connection speeds.  Used to be 1.1 meg download speeds now 400k and dwn to 3.3k and drop outs regularly.

Hotmail takes a long time to load.  

The Telstra self diagnostic doesnt work.

You tube videos stop and start.

Software updates dont come down because of drop outs and slow datarates.

I have been in touch with support at Telstra now several times and they were going to get back to me when the problem is fixed via a Text message.  However this has not occured and still slow speeds make the service unreliable.  8 days later.

The exchange here is closed up so much that alternate providers havent got space - so a switch to an alternate ip supplier is not an option.  I have now contacted a number of people within the district and they are having similar problems and not just with Telstra but other providers as well.

Does any one have any idea what is happening at the moment and if anyone is actually trying to fix issues?

brettnosse

I've been told its due to Netflicks
Kalak

Not just Netflix, but also with Stan and Presto streaming video is huge at the moment, and clearly bigger than anyone expected when planning capacity.

iiNet have said that 25% of all their traffic is Netflix alone. I am with iiNet and my 20Mbps connection goes down to 2-3Mbps in the evenings at the moment because they too didn't have the capacity to handle the extra load.

jst2frky

I've been with Telstra for years but have been having same issues as Outlawninja and tmac. I homeschool my son and rely on the internet we pay for a high GB plan but we aren't getting the connection to utilise it. We are sitting around 1.1 Mbps line speed and d/l 150 KB/s. 

we cannot :-

load webpages-gmail; FB freezes

stream video/youtube or iview etc

download software updates

make VOIP calls 

A few months back we lost connxn completely, no phone and I don't own a mobile, no pay phones around. I had to go to a Telstra shop to use the phone and report Fault. They told me it would be 9 days for a tech to come around! They expected me to be without any means of contact for that long. It was not acceptable and got them to send someone ASAP. They gave me an interim Mobile and WiFi adapter + credit to use them. BUT I had to pay up front $230 and wait to be credited back on my account - keeping me with them.The tech found the internal cable was wrecked but he couldn't replace it - Telstra is only responsile for external. He found an obscured original jack and told me to buy cable and connect everything. His last words were "everything should be fine." I connected - but nothing. Called Complaints again - they were great and sent another Tech who found that the external cable was damaged, he fixed it. We had line speed of 3.4 Mbps - best we'd had! BUT it's continued to slow to some days we have nothing -drops in and out- can't connect.

I don't see the point in paying so much for a service I'm not getting - I might as well be on Dial Up because this is not ADSL 2+! I've seen the speeds other people are getting and my best is their worst. I'm within 2kms from exchange. I'm sick of being told 'congestion' is an issue and 'rain' affecting our 'nodes'. Telstra should spend the $$ they're making off us all to upgrade their infrastructure. Where I live they have the monopoly and i'm stuck with their service. They gave me an extra 300 GBs p/m to keep me happy when my contract expired but as I said we can't use it. So we aren't happy!!

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi jst2frky,

There are a few things you can try at home to troubleshoot these issues, such as performing an isolation test:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

Or if you are primarily using a WiFi connection, the following link contains some tips, tools and downloadable apps that can help optimise your service:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516

But ultimately, if you are concerned about your speeds you will need to contact our technical team again so we can preform further investigations on your service.

Tech support can be contacted on 133 933 or via Live Chat

- Ben 

jst2frky

Thanks Ben, but I obviously have been through all the isolation tests and troubleshooting before they would send someone out. I go through it each time I have issues so that when I call I can tell them I've checked everything. We were down to 54 kbps yesterday and unable to do a thing. I called Faults but recieved a message that Telstra was aware of 'outages in my area' and they were working on it and to refer to the Status Page, if I was 'calling about anythiing else, stay on the line otherwise hang up!' So, apparently according to the Status Page I have to wait until after noon on 06/05/15 for our service to be repaired. I take it once that time passes I can then get through to Faults if my service is still failing. It took a long time for this page to load today but we cannot stream video. 

Kalak

If you are in an area with a known outage then it is often best to wait until you see the issue resolved on the Service Status pages, unless you specifically know it's NOT related.

Have you checked to make sure that there is no fault on the voice component of your service, such as noise/static as well?

MicroBell59

I too have erratic international speeds usually 280Kbit/s down and 580Kbit/s up since Netflix is in town - local speedtest to Telstra Brisbane is just 2.86Mbit/s down.

I did the isolation test and tried 2 different modems and even the laptop shows same results.

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi MicroBell59, 

Your next step will be to contact our tech support team on 133 933 or via Live Chat so they can investigate this further.

- Ben

vvulture

I'm sick of these generic responses they always give us...   copy and paste i'm sure.

The next step for some of you people needs to be the telecomunications ombudsman ...  You are wayyyyyyyy too patient.

Worthy1

Hi All,

I too have struggled ith Telstra nternet for quite some time. Speedds are always slow when wifi connected to technicolor gateway. I then bridged the Technicolour to my router (TPLINK) tht i used to use for my netspeed cable internet. by bridging and using the TPlink to handle the connection to Telstra (connect vie PPOE)

Using the second router i was able to get around 12mb Down speeds. The next prob i was having was constantly having to change my wifi channel to keep this speed up. I have since upgraded to a better bridge router but only days in so cant say whether its channels stay stable.

The problem seems to be with Telstra's technicolour gateway as got the same speeds ethernet connected and wifi connected. Telstra techs are hopeless, they seem to not undertand anything to do with networking and yet going to actual router supplier forums (i.e netgear) comes up with a wealth of knowledge and settings to play with. the fact i can connect another manufactureres routers to theirs and get better speed is crazy. My Telstra Tbox was constantly buffering even when ethernet connected yet changing a wifi channel fixes it. How on earth does a wifi channel fix an ethernet connected problem.

Anyways long story short if you want better speeds you have 3 options:

1. Try change the wifi channels on the Telstra Technicolour and ee if this improves

2. Buy a good second router and use the Technicolour for nothing more than the connection

3. buy a better adsl+2 router and use it

There are people using the same new Netgear router i am getting that are experiencing 900mbs down speeds! i am sitting on a humble 14mb down speed but atleast youtube, tbox etc dont buffer and it feels quick....

Jayno

I am also in Rowville and I "upgraded" to ADSL 2 a few months ago.  For months our internet has also been slow with download varying between .8 and 1.9 mbps.  I didn't realise it was slow (didn't know any better) until my son said his friend in Northcote was getting 18mbps!  I've been on the phone with Telstra for 2 weeks now, they've done isolation tests etc, even sent out a technician who replaced corroded wire in pit outside and said everything was now ok. It wasn't!!  Called Telstra again and they sent out a new modem.  They advised I should be getting 8mbps minimum!  Made no difference.  On the phone with Telstra for 40 minutes last night going over same questions, they said I should expect a call from their escalation team today.  I heard nothing, ended up calling them again this evening, another 50 minutes later they explained that the lady I spoke with last night did not escalate as promised!  Now I have to hope I get a call over the weekend as promised.  I'm really fed up....Interestingly the guy on the phone tonight tested the line and got 1.99mbps which he seemed to indicate was all I could expect to get!  What is going on??

Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi Jayno 

There are several factors that can impact on the speed of your ADSL service. This includes your hardware, quality of the lines between your home and the exchange, distance between your home and the exchange (cable length). 

You can find a couple of tips http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Coverage-Network-KB/Is-your-ADSL-service-running-as-fast-as-it... which may assist in increasing your speeds. 

Please also let us know if you don't hear back from the promised callback so we can chase this up for you. 

Regards 

bella_5

I doubt you would be on ADSL2 if your speeds are so slow.

The same thing happened to me.

After 3 days of shouting at people in Manilla, they admitted we had been connected to ADSL1.

We had ADSL2 when we went to Telstra, they disconnected all our services for 10 days, then reconnected us to ADSL1. Go figure.

I will never complain about any other provider again. Telstra are extremely incompetent.

Apparently, it could take anywhere up to one year (yes folks, 12 months), for an ADSL2 port to become "available".

Without my knowledge and permission, Telstra disconnected me from my ADSL 2 port, then it took them TEN whole days to plug me into an inferior ADSL1 port.

And NOBODY cares.

I have never heard of such gross incompetence in my entire life - yet Telstra are getting away with it.

Maitland121

I have to agree with that last statement, I am in Ashtonfield and since they started working in our area installing the new network we are constantly loosing our network or it so slow you can go make a cup of coffee for things to change on the screen...paying for asdl2 service.....what service....gmffff

GeorgeQ

I can't but think there is a massive disconnect between the sales part of Telstra and the real world. And it seems to be comission based.

We recently switched from our ADSL plan with another provider, which we had been with for nearly 10  years, to ADSL2+ with Telstra.

We were informed or should i say promised all the way though the process that we would have faster internet. We were not expecting miracles, but faster is better. We asked the same question time and time again, will our speeds be better. Yes was the answer, but it won't be 20 mbps. I was not expecting miracles, 1 to 2 mbps more than we had  would have been great.

The thing is, we are exactly the same now, with our upload speed actually being lower. So we went through the pain of killing our old email account, etc etc, to be in the same boat.

After being told its your modem (um no its a new telstra one), its your computer (no i checked on multiple computers) and you have switched exchanges (pretty sure we didn't) we were told hours later "that is as fast as you will get". Well the funny thing is, talking with Telstra sales people on the phone and in store, that is not what we were told.

I keep getting calls from Telstra wantiing to know why i give them low scores in the after call surveys. It's pretty obvious.  The truth is better than misrepresentation.

DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey GeorgeQ,

I can appreciate your frustrations with the connection issues that you have had since the change over to our service and do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused you Smiley Sad

The infrastructure that does provide you with the connection to the internet is not changed when you change providers, it would just be the port at the exchange that is changed over as a part of the process. This would mean that the speeds would be very similar to what you have been receiving no matter who the provider is. 

Have you as yet had a tech visit completed to your residence to see if they can locate any issues with the connection and ensure this is working at optimal speeds?

If you feel you have not been provided with the correct information during the signup process then you can have an official complaint lodged via:

https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints

veganyogi
Level 3: Gumshoe

we just switched to telstra ADSL2+ today - coming from satelight internet. and OMG, the speeds we're getting tonight are slower than what we were getting with satelight internet.  tonight when i ran an OZ speed test the download speed is 0.11 MB/s and the line speed is 0.87MB/s. Had i known we'd get slower internet switching to ADSL2+, I would have never in a million years committed to a two year contract. is there a trail period where you can get out of your contract if the speeds are woefully slow? i know the satelight company i was with waived the contract period for us (not that we needed that).

does anybody know if telstra offers a "get out of your contract if we don't live up to our end of the deal" or can they be forced to let us get out of our contract due to poor service by going through an ombudsman?

thanks for any replies in advance.

Deliver

image.png

zjyzccfx

Using adsl 2+. Only 2 device connected, I can't watch videos on YouTube , my roommate cannot even listen to music. Sometimes I can't even use google regularly, it needs to wait more than 10s to open an google page.I called them, they let me use speedtest, which shows 1.2M/S. I was very glad, but I tried lots of website,still 100kb/s downloading speed. Nothing to say, the second day using BigPond adsl2+ . It takes me over 1 month to connect to Internet, now connected but it is slower than my phone. I want to kill myself right now.
theVman

Re: Just switched to Bigpond ADSL2+ very slow speeds - POOR FORM

I was with a number of other ISP's before Telstra but decided to pay the extra and go with Bigpond for better service and speed. Telstra actually provided this and I was fault/trouble free for the 24 month contract period and another 18 months thereafter. I was feeling quite satisfied and just in September I decided to renew the contract to, add an iPad to my Bundle and lock in my very old $20/month mobile plan, get a free accessory’s pack all for an extra $50 a month, so I was told by the Telstra shop sales person.

Since then, apparently a coincidence, they have decided to increase my mobile plan minimum an extra $10 a month. They have added the so called free accessory pack to my monthly bill at $10 a month and added another fee “Premium Care “of another $15 month.

I have also lost my home phone and internet connection for the last 5 days due to a line fault, apparently another coincidence, and as of yesterday it’s now re-connected. However the speed has gone from 6.2 kbps down to 4.7 kbps.

So I have now my new contract, AFTER I had signed on, provides me with a MUCH slower speed for an EXTRA $75 dollars a month!

At the moment I REGRET re-contracting with Telstra, they do NOT provide a better support service, they do NOT provide faster internet as advertised, and they make you pay a premium for far less of a service!

I believe their equipment is now old and unreliable, prone to faults and disruptions and can no longer cope with the volume of data and users they spent millions to sign up.

Put your (essentially our) money where your mouth is (not in executives pockets) and provide the service and infrastructure you boast you have on all your advertisements.

karma_m

Hi all,

I am just so darn frustrated with Bigpond and 'technical support'Smiley Mad

We have never had great speeds but over the past few weeks it has become appalling, worse than Dialup. I work remotely and am finding that at present rate I will have to forget that idea. We have given up trying to download from Foxtel anytime. A 50min TV show took over an hour to download!..foxtel, well that is another story!

Today after having download speeds of 1.10 and upload of 0.7 I was told by a very unhelpful 'ADSL expert' that this is perfectly acceptable for ADSL2! He just kept saying that I have a connection and that the problem must be mine! I have faster speeds tethering my Optus mobile phone to my Mac! 

At that time I had my Mac plugged in by ethernet to the Technicolor gateway. I had explained that I had attempted all forms of troubleshooting to him and told him that I was the only person in the house at the time and I had already turned off all other devices.  He seemed to ignore (not understand) all of what I said and kept insisting the problem was mine due to the fact that Telstra doesn't  recommend wirelss with ADSL (really??) and my poor speeds were due to interference  and  other devices must be using up my bandwidth.  I told him again that I had already given up on the wifi & have ethernet cables stretching all over the house in an effort to speed things up but it made no significant difference.   This apparantly had nothing to do with him as he was the 'ADSL EXPERT' and as far as he could tell I had a perfectly acceptable connection! He then offered to transfer me to the IT section. Unbeknownst to me I was transferred to the 'PLATINUM' service. At no time did he mention that there would be a fee involved. I was stunned that to get any IT troubleshooting support that I would have to pay a fee, especially when the problem appears to be coming from telstra's end. 

As someone else pointed out when you pay for a pizza you expect a whole pizza not half!

rant over and another work day wasted!

Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Vman,

It's disappointing to hear after having a great service for so long it suddenly went down in quality Smiley Sad Have you given us a call to troubleshoot this one? We can test the line further and find the cause of speed loss.

Brodie

lazouris

I'm having the same problem and up until last week my usual speedtest results are around 16-18MB and wasn't uncommon to see downloads at 2000kb/s.

My Modem is connected at a high sync up speed and is stable however in the last week my download speeds have plummeted and speedtest results varying from 1.3M to 5MB.

Downstream                 Upstream
SNR Margin            6.0                       7.0 db
Line Attenuation     15.0                     9.6 db
Data Rate                21455                 939 kbps

What I have also noticed is when doing a ping test to googles public DNS server or bigpond DNS servers I'm getting around 10-15% packet loss ;

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 94, Received = 82, Lost = 12 (12% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 76ms, Maximum = 121ms, Average = 84ms

I've tried two different modems with both being isolate and no other phone devices on the line.

I've also tried being directly connected into the modem and not using wireless, same results.

I've also done the same ping test from the modem and also suffered the same 10-15% packet loss.

I've used the Telstra Chat feature today to speak to a person who assured me that nothing is wrong with my connection when clearly there is a problem, even streaming youtube and viewing websites is very slow.

indralott

I get the exact same problem as the user above me.

Up until sunday, my connection was fine.. Just one time i tried to restart my router, since then it has been totally downhill,

usually get around 17 mbit download, now i get 3 - 5 mbit.

Had a chat with telstra 24/7 and they said they have fixed it.. Something about my connection on the server to be moved to a more "stable" connection... told me to restart router and try again..

Same results 5 mbit.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Tech Support will not troubleshoot packet loss issues as ping traffic is considered low priority and consequently may not provide an accurate picture. 

That being said, when it comes to speed issues, we always start by asking the customer to perform some checks such as what is listed here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/How-To-Troubleshoot-Speed-Issues/ta-p/278139

- Shelly

Kingster1967

Goodbye Bigpond hello .. Internode! I have had enough of all the BS excuses Telstra come up with for slow internet speeds.. They always put the blame back on you the consumer.. 'There must be something wrong with your set up' so I will happily go from paying $99 pm to $59 pm and not have to pay for a phone line I have never used.. Good Ridance!!

PingellyPete

My experience leaving TPG Off Net ADSLwhere my tested download speeds averaged 15mbs ,I now have ADSL2+ with Telstra and my speeds are less than 5mbs and generally 1.3 to 2. So out of the frying pan into the fire. The online chat help is absolutely useless and I am not at all impressed with any dealings to date. Installation took a week longer than specified, no info provided re setting up email, no password issued but an additional 7 days until online and a phone call for 30 minutes to India resulted in a password finally being given. Unfortunately there is little choice in providers where I live, no doubt Telstra will advise me to move as they seem to have done with other unfortunate idiots who went with Telstra. Well, time perhaps to live without land line or internet, at least we have a great mobile service from Optus.

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi PingellyPete, 

I gather from what you have said is that you have recently moved house?  I can understand the frustration of not having your expectations meet when trying to get your internet installed and can only apologise for this.  

When it comes to speeds attained over ADSL2+ services there are several factors which limit the speed. These factors include:

- The cable distance between your home and the exchange
- The type of cabling and exchange equipment that your service runs through
- The line attenuation
- If there is a fault on the network
- If there is a high demand on your ADSL DSLAM
- The way that your equipment is filtered [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jveAWcZWbVU]
- The equipment that is connected into your phoneline
- If you are connected to the modem via LAN Cable or WiFi
- The number of devices connected to your modem (eg: smart phones, smart TVs, tablets, gaming consoles, computers, etc)
- The number of processes running on those devices. (this includes automatic updates, cloud services, photo sharing etc)

Whirlpool (a 3rd party site) has a good article explaining the relationship between the cable distance, attenuation and the speed that is achievable given the limitations of ADSL as a technology. You can find that article here:http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dslam_speeds

This next link provides information on the things to check in order to get an accurate picture of the speed available to your service: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

If you continue to have concerns regarding your ADSL speed after reviewing the above links, then please contact Tech Support on 133 933 or via Live Chat so that they can perform further tests on the network.

Hope this helps.

- Ben 

View solution in original post

wildstorm

this  is where the mistake is

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1.020 / 16.571

it should read 

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1.020 / 25.0

why adsl+2 speeds are 25 mbps not 16 Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit