ROGER_BRIGGS
Level 3: Gumshoe

KEEPING MY BIGPOND EMAIL ADDRESS

My wife and I are hoping to be moving into an 'Over-55' Retirement Village within the next 6-9 months which will be a "NGV" wired site which won't (I assume) allow me to retain Telstra as my ISP.  But I would much prefer to be able to retain my "......@bigpond.com" email address, which I've have for more years than I can recall, rather than have to create a brand new email address and then have to advise all oif my contacts accordingly - it's a bit like keeping my mobile phone number no matter which phone company I choose.  I believe that there is a  Telstra 'thing' called a "Subscribed Mailbox" which will allow me to keep my Bigpond email address even though Telstra won't be my new ISP, and this service costs $79/annum (2017 info I found on the web under Telstra's "Our Customer Terms", dated 11 Dec 2017).  Is this still current?  Appreciate any advice/suggestions from the CROWD as to whether this service is the best or only option for me to retain my Bigpond email address into the future.   Thanks in advance!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero

Re: KEEPING MY BIGPOND EMAIL ADDRESS

Hi ROGER_BRIGGS,

Telstra no longer has the option to retain your email address for $79 per year. 

A customer that cancel's their service and requests that they want to keep their email address will only be able to keep it for 12 months.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/faq/can-i-keep-my-telstra-email-address-if-i-close...

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
ROGER_BRIGGS
Level 3: Gumshoe

Smiley3, thanks for your prompt reply to my post.

That's a bit of a bummer that I will be forced to relinquish my Bigpond email address, that I have had for at least 20 years, if my wife & I decide to move into a Retirement Village.

As I mentioned in my initial post, this is reminiscent of the 'old days' with mobile phone numbers - you were given the mobile number by the company you signed up with but then lost that number if you changed to a different company later down the track, who then gave you a new, and very different mobile number.  Luckily, that is now a thing of the past!

So it looks like, as you point out, that the best that I can hope for is to keep my old Bigpond email address active for 12 months, during which time I will have to advise all of my contacts of my new email address!

Thanks again!

Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Hi @ROGER_BRIGGS 

That's why it has never been a good idea to use an internet provider's email address. Free ones like Gmail/Outlook will always follow you no matter what provider you are with.

But you can BCC (Blind carbon copy, NOT CC, so everyone doesn't see each other's email address) and send out a mass email to your contacts of your new address. Won't take you long for them to change over.

There is a limit (I think 25 maybe) of how many you can email at one time. Before Telstra mail considers it as spam. Someone else here might know the hard number?

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
Smiley3

Hi @ROGER_BRIGGS,

You're welcome Smiley Happy

I do have a bigpond email address but when Telstra first announced that they were going to charge $79 per year I started notifying companies and contacts to change that email address to my Gmail email address. 

My sister works in retail and collects email addresses from customer's. She has noticed that some elderly customer's email addresses have the Retirement Village's name after the @ in the email address. She has asked the customer "Do you live in a Retirement Village?", to which they reply Yes.

We are in South Australia, but I'm not sure if other States Retirement Villages allow the same for their residents. 

A good suggestion by @Ozmoz to set-up either a Gmail or Outlook email address. Smiley Wink

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit