Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Lag/Congestion Issue

Well I had Telstra Adsl and it was perfectly fine for me on cod on the xbox but on the 7th of june 2011 it just started to lag at peak hours everyday (5pm-11pm). Now At this point of time I have been lagging for 5 months and I am absolutely sick of it. So 14 days ago rang up Telstra asked them to upgrade my internet as these speeds are just to slow. I asked if I would need a new modem because its now going to be Adsl2+ and so they sent me down a new modem. I'v now had Adsl2+ and the new modem/router they sent me and I am still lagging at peak hours. My xbox is connected to the net via Ethernet cable and like I said only lags during peak hours. I live in Taylors Lakes, Victoria and feel free to ask me any questions at all as I need all the help I can get. So please help me out! Thanks in advance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Lag/Congestion Issue

if your internet is fine all day and only lags at peak time it is more likely you have a congestion issue at your exchange, a faster connection won't help in this case as it's the internet backhaul that is the problem, you could find out if there is any capacity upgrade scheduled but not a lot else you could do really, ADSL2 generally offers higher pings than ADSL1, to a gamer the ping is generally more important than the download speed
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Highlighted

How can I find out if there is a upgrade scheduled? and when? 

Highlighted

In my experience .. There is probably no schedual to upgrade any ADSL exchange, your best bet

- http://www.nbnco.com.au/our-network/index.html  

Highlighted

@joelcassr wrote:

How can I find out if there is a upgrade scheduled? and when? 

check the link DSLAM backhaul upgrade plans here http://telstrawholesale.com/products/data/dsl-internet-grade/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm for your exchange, if it's planned it should be on that list, if there's nothing planned it could be they haven't had enough feedback about issues, if nobody alerts them to problems they are unlikely to be aware

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I already responded to this in the other thread. There are many many reasons a COD game can lag most of them related to the game itself and the netcode underneath it. That said let me know your ping to a site such as google.com and I'll investigate.
Highlighted

if the problem is lag (ping related) rather than congestion that's a different issue, ADSL2 is interleaved and always has worse pings than an ADSL1 service, having the connection put back to an ADSL1 non interleaved profile (1500/256) would likely give a much greater result

Edit: if available Cable would be an even better option for gaming as it generally offers very low latency

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You can also log into self care and disable interleaving on ADSL2+ (which I have done). Getting pings of 11ms is mighty nice.

Highlighted

@Gareth wrote:

You can also log into self care and disable interleaving on ADSL2+ (which I have done). Getting pings of 11ms is mighty nice.

there you go, didn't even know that was available as an option (no ADSL2 where I am, not that I play games anyway), I would certainly think that would be worth trying if gaming is the priority, I guess a bit of time was wasted talking about congestion if the real issue is latency anyway

Highlighted

I did this and now i have a Strict NAT Type.

So i turned interleaving back on, yet of course, im still on strict NAT.

Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

Hey Joel, I'll flick you a private message and see what we can find out about your area in terms of the network for you....

MartinMc

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

omg, i have the exact same problem. what the hell is going on in taylors lakes. about a month ago adsl on  TPG which  was working fine and only lagged on certain overseas servers on playstation.We moved to bigpond as a sales rep told us about much faster internet and price matching plans. The internet is now unusable. after contacting customer service they told us that our connection and speeds are fine which is not becuase they cannot see what its happening to my internet. i used to do a speed test on the ps3 and was getting 5.6mb download on ADSL. TODAY im geting 1.7mb to .7mb download on TELSTRA ADSL2+. I called telstra and they blamed our modem so they sent us a new modem which we received and made no difference at all.we live approx 900mt from exchange and its never been this bad.

Highlighted

sebapl10 do we only live 900m away from the exchange? Smiley Surprised (Taylors Lakes)

and ye same here man telstra adsl2+ new modem same **bleep** speeds aswell though -.-

We gotta find out whats going on!

@sebapl10 wrote:

omg, i have the exact same problem. what the hell is going on in taylors lakes. about a month ago adsl on  TPG which  was working fine and only lagged on certain overseas servers on playstation.We moved to bigpond as a sales rep told us about much faster internet and price matching plans. The internet is now unusable. after contacting customer service they told us that our connection and speeds are fine which is not becuase they cannot see what its happening to my internet. i used to do a speed test on the ps3 and was getting 5.6mb download on ADSL. TODAY im geting 1.7mb to .7mb download on TELSTRA ADSL2+. I called telstra and they blamed our modem so they sent us a new modem which we received and made no difference at all.we live approx 900mt from exchange and its never been this bad.

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

900metres from sub exchange and 1.8kms from sydenham exchange, i will post up router sync tonight

Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

To sebpal10 and joelcassr....

Good news guys, there is a tech going out this afternoon to cut your services off the DSLAM and put them onto a new ISAM that has recently been installed in your area with its own dedicated backhaul.

MartinMc

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit