Level 1: Cadet

LAN plug won’t fit laptop

I have a new slime line laptop and the yellow nbn plug won’t fit into my laptop 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: LAN plug won’t fit laptop

All LAN cables use a standard RJ45 plug and the ethernet socket on all devices is a standard RJ45 socket. If the Ethernet plug doesn't fit the socket then your laptop might not have an ethernet socket. Some of the laptops have hinged bottom on the ethernet socket and you have to insert the RJ45 plug in at a slight angle so that the hinged bottom springs out and then the rj45 plug can be inserted. There is only one way the plug goes in with the metal contacts on the opposite side to the hinge. The plug should not need to be forced in.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Some new laptops also require a USB-C to ethernet adapter in order to connect a LAN cable.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 9: Captain

Others will only use wireless tech to connect , look at your user guid for laptop it should tell you.

FTTN Tech. Appinions are my own.
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Sometimes the slimline laptops has an ethernet port that expands/opens up. Take a picture of the port so we can advise further.

As previously advised by “cf4” ethernet port with a hinged bottom.

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit