Level 1: Cadet

Landline copper needs replacing

Answered

I purchased an old house in an area that has FTTC which I want to connect to. The technician told me that the line is blocked or broken. He couldn't tell where the copper is located, and that I would have to dig a trench in my front yard at a cost to me of $2000 to locate it.  This doesn't seem right to me as I presume Telstra would know exactly where their cables are.

NBNCO advised me that they have a connection order in place, however, the status is 'Pending', so no connection until further notice from Telstra.

I would like to know:

1. Is there any way to avoid digging up my yard?

2. Where is the Telstra pit located?

3. Does the copper wire terminate at the Telstra pit, and couldn't it be repaired or replaced from there?

Can someone please help.

every life should have nine cats
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Landline copper needs replacing

No. Telstra wouldn't know where the copper from you house to the boundary of your property is as they don't keep plans of that.

There is no "Telstra Pit". It is now NBN Co's pit as they bought the infrastructure, and it is outside your property, somewhere along the nature strip. If he can't find that, then there are bigger issues.

The homeowner is responsible for providing a conduit from the house to the boundary of the property, and I assume that that is where he thinks that the problem lies. The simplest way to excavate it is to start where it enters the house and carefully dig along side it until it's exposed all the way to the property boundary.

If the conduit has been crushed (or the cable is exposed and not in a conduit), a new conduit will need to be laid and a leader passed through to pull the new copper cable. If the conduit is OK, then the cable within it may be broken (and the simplest repair is to lay a new conduit and run new copper).

To get a contractor to do it, it's going to cost you. $2000 sounds about right, given the works involved.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

No. Telstra wouldn't know where the copper from you house to the boundary of your property is as they don't keep plans of that.

There is no "Telstra Pit". It is now NBN Co's pit as they bought the infrastructure, and it is outside your property, somewhere along the nature strip. If he can't find that, then there are bigger issues.

The homeowner is responsible for providing a conduit from the house to the boundary of the property, and I assume that that is where he thinks that the problem lies. The simplest way to excavate it is to start where it enters the house and carefully dig along side it until it's exposed all the way to the property boundary.

If the conduit has been crushed (or the cable is exposed and not in a conduit), a new conduit will need to be laid and a leader passed through to pull the new copper cable. If the conduit is OK, then the cable within it may be broken (and the simplest repair is to lay a new conduit and run new copper).

To get a contractor to do it, it's going to cost you. $2000 sounds about right, given the works involved.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Level 1: Cadet

That makes sense, I wish Telstra could have explained it so easily.  Thanks very much

every life should have nine cats

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit