Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Laptop won’t connect to wifi

Help!

One night this week my laptop stopped  connecting to the wifi at home. My mobile devices were still connecting with no problems. I rang Telstra, my modem was checked and declared to be working. The Telstra support told me they believed my laptop was the problem as the mobile devices were connecting.

i employed an independent IT technician to give my laptop the once over.

He:
Tested Laptop - Driver Uninstalled & Updated, still Could not See Telstra SSID on Modem
Tested with Mobile Devices in Home but they only connected to 5Ghz Network.
Assumed it was the Network Card within the laptop which had failed.

USB TPLink WiFi Dongle purchased.

Tested and Couldnt Detect 2.4Ghz Network, Went upstairs directly next to Modem, Even with NEW WiFi Dongle only 1-2 Bars Showed Up.
He indicated that the Telstra Modem has a FAULT with its 2.4Ghz Network and that it should be replaced by Telstra.
Telstra do not accept this and are telling me that it has to be the laptop. What do I do???

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Laptop won’t connect to wifi

If you scroll back a few days ago, you'll read that several people commented they were having issues with 2.4Ghz since a recent update.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you have the Technicolor version of the Gen 2 modem (DJA0231) this is probably due to the latest firmware update (18.1.c.0443-950-RA)

There are a couple of post where people have lost the 2.4 Ghz WiFi band after this firmware update.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/2-4GHz-WiFi-not-working-5GHz-working-fine/td-...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Devices-not-connecting-to-Telstra-smart-modem...

Suggest you contact Telstra support again and report the modem's 2.4 GHz band as faulty if you have this model modem. Even if you don't have this particular model of the Telstra modem the 2.4GHz band is still faulty. The firmware version is displayed on the LHS of modem's login page.

Highlighted

Thanks for that information. It sounds like I’m not alone.

Highlighted

Thanks. Telstra are replacing my modem after I referred to the amount of communication on this forum re my issue.

You were a big help.

Thanks

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit