Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Latency Issues - I don't know why.

Hello, wasn't sure exactly where to post this question.

Mainly this year i have been having terrible latency spikes while playing online games such as Call of Duty and DotA 2. Call of Duty (Ps3) doesn't show me my packet loss and ping so i'll talk about DotA 2 instead. When im playing DotA my ping averages around 180ms which is alright but still pretty bad considering my friends use iinet and they get around 100ms connecting to Valve's servers in Sydney. (even though someone told me all the lines belong to telstra and iinet just uses them or something?)The bad thing is though that the latency is very inconsistent and fluctuates anywhere in between 100-1000ms and can become unplayable as the spikes occur constantly every 5 seconds or so, sometimes it stays around 250ms for 10 seconds or so. I have tried a lot of things to find a fix and I feel like it could be 3 things.

1. My modem (Technicolor TG797n v3)

2. Just where I live :/ (not sure where our exchange is but i don't think it's super close)

3. ISP (Telstra)

So I also have a list of things my family and I have done to find the problem. (all failed)

1. Called Telstra - pretty sure we get redirected to a foreign country and they tell us to go turn our modem off and turn it back on then go to speedtest.net and check etc. They don't actually tell us anything helpful.

2. Using ethernet cable instead of wireless adapter - i was surprised when this didn't work at all, if anything it got worse which makes me think it could be a modem issue.

3. Attempting to change line profile - pretty sure it didn't work because i chose noise profile 1 (low noise protection) and it said it was changing but then i check back and it hasn't and i still have no noise protection. Also couldn't find any option to turn interleaving off.

4. Using a VPN - tried to use this to improve the route that the packets come and go to get to me and the server.

5. Tried software - supposedly optimized the way packets were sent and other things of that nature.

There are also some other things you guys should know, at my house we have the internet coming to our main house then it is sent via ethernet (I believe, i know it's not wireless) to the house we own on the same block of land where my brother and his roommate live. (both barely use it, no gaming or anything) Another thing is that i went on a holiday a bit more than week ago which lasted for 5 days and the interesting thing is that after i got back, for that whole day the internet was perfect, i wasn't having any issues and i had a lot of fun so i don't know if the break the internet had from my family using it made it better or something? The day after it went back to being terrible. One more thing, i think i recall it being better before we got the t-box and the new modem when we upgraded our bundle not 100% sure.

I know this is getting long but as you can probably tell from my typing i'm very frustrated that my parents (i'm 15) pay about $140 for our 200Gb ADSL 2+ broadband bundle (something like that) and the quality is lesser than my friends who say they pay about $80 for 200Gb and get better response times and even faster download and upload speeds with other ISP's. also this problem shouldn't be related to the people using the internet around both houses, it's just as bad when i'm home alone.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Latency Issues - I don't know why.

I have also been experiencing these issues over the last week or so.

Highlighted

No help for people pay $140 for something they could get even better for $60?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Damon-Ezard,

High Ping is always a tricky one to identify and resolve. The points you have made are great, and are definitely steps we would take to find what the cause is. Do you have an alternative modem you can try? When you called, did we have a look at the connection itself?

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Brodie,

sorry for my comment before, I was a little bit frustrated with the issue yesterday. I think we have another modem we could but it's a bit older than the one we have now, ill try it within the next day or two. When we called you guys at telstra we were told to turn off our modem and then told us to go to speedtest.net and it was apparently fine. Not sure if that is what you call checking the connection itself.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Damon-Ezard

Let us know how you go with the new modem once you have had a chance to try it.

In the meantime, here is a compilation of our ADSL DIY support pages that you can go through to try and see if this helps:

Here are some DIY support tools you can try. 

How to get higher speeds:

Is your ADSL service running as fast as it could be?

How to test your speed

Make sure your modem settings are correct

ADSL Self service tool:

Change your line profile:

How to peform an Isolation test:

ADSL Troubleshooting tips

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Highlighted

Turns out the change from the standard line profile to the noise 1 line profile has significantly improved my latency and its consistency, though the reduced speeds almost make it not worth it, usually about 1mb per second now it just goes up and down randomly getting to 800kb/s all the way down to 100kb/s. Any suggestion on which line profile i should choose? i looked at the fast one, worried it might just drop out too much to use.

edit: i just realised that the standard option used to have no noise protection? Now it is low so is it basically just the noise 1 profile? I'm a bit confused.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Damon-Ezard,

Our tech team are not in over the weekend, so I will flag this with them so they can get back to you on Monday to assist further Smiley Happy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Damon-Ezard,

The following link provides information about the Line Profiles and what they do, this is one of the links that was provided by TommyR above.

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/adsl-line-profiles

I would also suggest performing the following link when performing speed tests. It would be interesting to compare the results from within the main house and those at your premises. 

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

Let me know how you go.

- Shelly

Highlighted

It's really difficult to do an isolation test though since we have so many things connected, I can think of at least 20 different devices, including the ones at the other house I assume. If I'm going to attempt it can i first ask some question and say a few things.

1. The large majority of devices are wifi, but when I plug an Ethernet cable in it doesn't seem to help at all.
2. Will more levels of noise protection make my internet slower and slower? Before it was 8mbps on standard (with all the latency issues) now it is 3mbps on noise profile 1 (with less issues, still should be better, only getting just under 400KB/s). If I went to noise profile 2 will that lower it to like 100KB/s?
3. Our phone line used to be ok I think, but when we upgraded to the t-box and t-hub thing, the guy installed the modem and phones and I swear that is when we began to get a constant buzz on our line. Is there a chance he messed something up? He didn't look like he was from telstra, just a company that installs your devices.
4. If it is a problem with the line itself, will it ever get fixed?
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you unplug every device from each telephone socket, and try them individually, this will help to check that the line is not noisy. Also while doing this, make sure that each piece of equipment connected to the phone line has an ADSL 2+ filter. 

It is worth taking the time to do this test, particularly as you have so many devices connected. It could save you an unnecessary call in to Tech Support who will ask you to perform these tests anyway, and also an incorrect call out charge if a technician attends and proves that the issue was caused by privately maintained equipment.

- Shelly

Highlighted

I don't know much about the phone line, pretty sure its connected to the modem or that t-hub base station thing. I will try this test out tomorrow but I'm pretty sure that our issues have something to do with the t-hub, my mum heard from her friends that they unplugged the t-hub when they had internet issues and it fixed it.

Still wanting to find out if we up the noise protection, will the internet get slower?

Highlighted

Just switched to the fast profile and I am still having bad download speeds of 2.5 megabits instead of our usual 8 on the standard setting, do I need to restart our modem? Or does the fast setting also have reduced speeds.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Damon,

The problem with setting your profile to Fast, is that it doesn't necessarily increase your speed, particularly if you are some distance from the exchange. What it can do instead is increase the number errors as removed the noise impulse protection. The errors means that packets need to be corrected and re-sent which provides a slower overall experience.

While adding Line Profile 1 or 2 may reduce your speed slightly, it can make up for this by providing a more stable connection, fewer packets with errors that need to be re-sent.

This is explained in more detail here: https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/adsl-line-profiles

At the end of the day, once you have performed your testing, if you have any further concerns then please contact Tech Support on 133 933.

- Shelly

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit