rachael17
Level 1: Cadet

Line connection

Answered

Hi,

We have been living in a place that does not have a home phone. There is a line but when you plug a phone in there is no dial tone. There hasnt been a phone connected for at least 5 years. I want to get adsl but when i phoned the company to get it connected they said that in my area the hardware is owned and maintained by telstra and that they would have to activate the line. 

My question is this: If telstra activates the line do I have to sign up for a phone plan? I dont want a phone plan with telstra as I feel they are very expensive. I just want to get the phone line activated to get adsl with another company, but because I'm in a rural area I have to deal with Telstra. Do I have to pay an activation fee, get a plan with telstra then switch & pay a brek fee? 

I can't seem to get a straight answer.

Thanks for any infoQ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Line connection

You shouldn't have to deal with Telstra if you want to get a service with another provider. If they are telling you that you need to organise Telstra to connect the line then go to another company. They should be doing that on your behalf and then just passing the connection fee (in this case, just under $300) on to you on the bill.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Re: Line connection

You shouldn't have to deal with Telstra if you want to get a service with another provider. If they are telling you that you need to organise Telstra to connect the line then go to another company. They should be doing that on your behalf and then just passing the connection fee (in this case, just under $300) on to you on the bill.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit