Aaron19
Level 2: Rookie

Line speed

Hi All

My modem says the maximum line speed available is 11mbps, but we are on the standard plus plan. Any ideas? Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Line speed

The maximum DSL link speed is limited by the physical characteristics (distance, gauge of the cable, faulty cable termination etc) of the link between the modem and the node. The actual link speed is limited by the maximum link speed and the speed tier you are on. For example if you are on the 25/5 and maximum link download speed is 11 Mbps then actual link speed will be 11 Mbps, but if maximum link speed was 100 Mbps down your actual download speed will be 28 Mbps (Link speed is slightly higher the NBN speed tier to allow for losses due to overheads).

A maximum link speed of 11 Mbps would indicate that you are over 1.5 Km from Node. If closer the low speed could be due poor quality cabling. If you have more than one phone socket the speed might be increased by having spare sockets disconnected and the phone socket used he link connected directly to incoming street cable.
Do you have more
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Hello
I suggest you first use the Telstra trouble shooting tool to check for some common occurrence issues. I have provided a link below
Thanks
https://www.telstra.com.au/my-account/troubleshooting-tool
"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Aaron19

I was getting 30mbps until the nbn did some work in the area.
Aaron19

Hi, already tried that. I was getting 30 mbps until some nbn work was done in the area.
cf4

It is not unknown for NBN to do work in a area that accidentally results in faults on a persons link. Have you reported the speed drop to support 1800 834 273. 11 Mbps is below the minimum speed that NBN Co guarantee so there is no reason why NBN Co should not send a Technician to investigate and fix fault.
Aaron19

Thanks. I will try that number and see how I go.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit