Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Lose IPV4 connection at least 20 times a day, IPV6 also a few times

Hi,

Since Sunday I have noticed my internet connection dropping out relentlessly.

I can be watching TV and an alert comes up "Wi-Fi has lost connection to internet", I can be on my tablet or desktop computer and I click on a web link and I simply can't get there as the connection has dropped while reading the page!

I was on cable but was moved over to the NBN a few months ago. It was a drop in speed but otherwise OK for the most part. The internet connection would drop from time to time but not as it has been doing since Sunday.

Looking at the modem log I see since 4 am this morning the modem has grabbed an IPv4 address 24 times! Each time different of course.

Looking further at the log I see it actually began on Nov 2 (3 grabs) and escalated from there.

Nov 3: 16 grabs

Nov 4: 15 grabs

Nov 5: 31 grabs

So is my cable connection dying?

Is it something further back at the DHCP server?

Who do I report this to to get some sort of resolution?

(While writing this the connection dropped again!)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Lose IPV4 connection at least 20 times a day, IPV6 also a few times

Report the problem to Telstra Support 1800834273.

Are any lights on the NBN modem changing colour when this occurrs. This would indicate a NBN link fault.

Highlighted

Just went off (and back again within 3 minutes).

All nbn modem lights are on.

The telstra modem showed IPV4 disconnected, but IPV6 connected.

Will try the support number tomorrow.

thanks.

Highlighted

Spoke to Telstra and the Tech went away and examined a few things and then returned telling me it seems to be an NBN issue. She then booked a ticket with NBN and said they will look into it and if needed will come out tomorrow. Sure enough the line was up and down for the rest of the day as NBN did "things".

The next day in the afternoon I rec'd a text from NBN informing me that they didn't need to come out. I still do not know the issue nor whether it is fixed, lessened or what.

However I have not noticed the drop outs as I previously experienced them.

Looking at the logs I can see I am keeping the same IP (v4) address for at least a day which is a dramatic improvement on what it was.

So fingers crossed.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit