Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Lost connection to WIFI from PS4

Hi, after years of successfully using the WIFI with our two PS4's, the PS4's as of yesterday can no longer find our WIFI network (so can't connect). We have not changed anything. PS4 can find our neighbors WIFI network, our WIFI still works for all other devices (though does appear to be a little weaker), the PS4 works when directly connected to the modem, and hot spotting off a mobile phone. Telstra support have said they've checked the modem & it's fine? The NBN healthcheck indicates there is "some interference with the WIFI signal" and indicates the Wi-Fi result is Medium. We have Telstra NBN with a Telstra Smart Modem, and have done hard re-boots of both the modem and PS4, any ideas gratefully accepted.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Lost connection to WIFI from PS4

The PS4 only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi. The modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi might be faulty. To determine if the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty you could install a WiFi Analyzer app on a Windows 10 PC or Android device that can connect to the WiFi. Open the app and check that there is spike in the 2.4 GHz graph that has your WiFi SSIDs name. If there is no spike then 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty. For example in image below of the Windows 10 WiFi Analyzer app by Matt Haffner the graph has a spike on channel 1 with the name off my WiFi (Private N3)

WIfI_Analyser_Matt_Hafner.jpg

Another way of determining if the 2.4 GHz WiFi is to log into modem and go to Advanced > Devices. A list of all connected devices and how they are connected. If there are no WiFi devices connected to 2.4 GHz but all are connected to the 5 GHz WiFi band then 2.4 GHz is faulty.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Lost connection to WIFI from PS4

cf4 Thank God for you!!  This info enabled me to show Telstra where the problem was, and secure a new modem. I was told by 3 different Telstra employees my network/modem was operating fine & it was a PS4 issue, I could not find a way to convince them otherwise. You're a Genius! Thank you

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit