Jordaaan
Level 1: Cadet

Mawson Lakes ADSL2+ Query

Hi,

I currently live in Technology Park in Mawson Lakes (on Fourth Avenue). I'm currently connected to a Naked ADSL2+ service through Internode using (I believe) their Agile equipment. To date, I have experienced a seriously unreliable connection syncing at ~1mbit and dropping out all of the time. I am aware that I am 4.5 kilometres away from the Gepps Cross exchange which is where I am connected to. This is inherently a limiting factor.

I have heard that Telstra has Top Hat technology around Mawson Lakes and I am curious as to whether I can do anything to improve my service by possibly switching to Telstra. Are there Top Hat implementations in Technology Park in my area? Would I need to be with Telstra to take advantage of their equipment?

I've investigated WDSL solutions from NuSkope but there is a tree in my line of sight to their tower.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jordan

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Mawson Lakes ADSL2+ Query

Hey Jordaaan,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

The connection speeds will not be able to be confirmed until we have a connection activate at your location Jordan. We can run a test on your specific location to confirm if this ADSL 2+ service will be available and this can be completed with my colleagues in Live Chat (24/7) at:

http://tel.st/hsc3

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jordaaan

Hi DingoDan,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I spent the better part of 45 minutes querying the Sales and Technical Support teams on Live Chat (24/7) on this matter to either:

1. Tell me whether or not there is Top Hat technology in my area.
  2. Tell me the sync speeds of any existing Telstra customers on ADSL2+ in my area.

The only thing established was that ADSL2+ is available at my address (obvious to me as I am currently using an ADSL2+ service from Internode). They were unable to answer either of my queries.

With Internode, I am more than likely receiving a signal directly from the Gepps Cross exchange which is 4-5 kilometres away. This is causing serious stability issues and super slow speeds.

All I want to know is whether it is worth my while switching to Telstra. If there is Top Hat technology in my area, we effectively have a repeater and that will immediately be of benefit as the distance will be reduced. If anyone at all could tell me whether anyone currently with Telstra using ADSL2+ in my area is achieving sync speeds of 5mbit or above then I will investigate switching to Telstra in earnest.

I do not want to go through a circus by cancelling my Internode service to sign up with Telstra just as a test, if both Sales and Technical Support can not inform prospective customers of the speeds they're likely to achieve based on existing customers in the area or the infrastructure available in the area then something is seriously wrong. I want to give you my money - but only if I am likely to see a benefit!

Ben_J
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jordan,

I am sure you can appreciate that given the nature of ADSL technology and the number of variable factors that can influence ADSL speeds, we make a point of never guaranteeing a minimum speed to prospective customers before they activate a service with us.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Jordaaan

Hi Ben_J,

Absolutely I can appreciate the multitude of factors that influence ADSL2+ speed and reliability. I'm not asking for a minimum speed at all, I am asking for information as to whether I would be on a Top Hat in my area if I was to sign up with Telstra, or, any information at all about the speeds existing customers are receiving in my area as a complete and utter estimate.

Obviously the way I am right now, I am maxing out at syncing at 1-2mbit. If anyone in my area was with Telstra and was achieving anything higher than that (I don't care how much or how accurate it is), then I would find it worthwhile to trial Telstra's service.

I really don't think that I'm asking too much here.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Jordaaan,

You may not think that you are asking too much, but you kinda are.

The sales consultants do not have the technical training or access to systems that will allow them to advise if a not-yet-connected service will be running through specific types of equipment in the network and if it will make any improvement over an existing service via another provider. They have a tool that advises 'Yes or No' if a service is able to be provisioned.

Similarly, they are unable to locate your neighbours services, run tests and compare the results for you. 

If you are wanting this information, then I believe the best source would be to ask your neighbours. Give them a wave while you are getting the mail or knock on their door and ask them nicely if they will tell you about their internet service. 

- Shelly

Jordaaan

Hi Shelly,

I made mention of both Telstra's Sales teams and Technical Support teams, if you are telling me that neither of those teams have the training or access to systems to allow them to check what existing customers are currently syncing at then I would have to strongly disagree.

I also made mention of asking whether there was Top Hat infrastructure in my area - not whether my service would make use of it, a simple yes or no would suffice for me to really want to push to investigate getting a service connected as a test.

I'm clearly wasting my time here so I've decided to give up. The solution here is to move out of the suburb into a suburb where the NBN currently is (or is currently being built) and when that happens I can guarantee my business won't be going to Telstra because of the severe lack of support I've received here.

Oreek

Hello jordan,

i am to living on fourth Avenue and currently subscribed to telstra.

speeds im getting is around 3+- Mbps and 0.6 Mbps via speedtest results.

I really regret on signing to a Telstra plan paying premium price with poor speeds.

Sharing a unit with 3 other people really makes it worse for me.

My suggestion is for you to try with nuskope.

Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Oreek, 

Sorry your speeds are on the lower end. Have you called and spoken to us about the speeds? We can test the line and see if we can improve this.

Brodie

technopark

Re: Mawson Lakes Telstra in control

I have been living in the great what you call is a technology park in Adelaide for the last 15 years, never had internet connected, in the last 2 weeks we decided to connect to the internet and were told that telstra is the only people that control the connection at mawson lakes, i have been told by telstra that there is no direct line to my property but there is a phone line to my house, this meant to be a technology park suburb and telstra is the only people can do this, really how big is telstra and what can telstra do to fix its problem since they are the only people that control the connection at mawson lakes, who should i complaint to please

Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Mawson Lakes Telstra in control

Hi Technopark

Agreed, that is a frustrating situation. Has an order been placed? If so, you just need to speak to our Activations Team by calling 132200 and requesting to speak to Activations who can assist you with this. 

Alternatively,  you can lodge a Complaint Lodging a complaint with Telstra

Regards 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit