Level 1: Cadet

Modem blew up

Answered

Hi my modem made a pop noise and had a electrical burning smell and kicked the power kick switch. When I try to turn it back on it kicks the switch again. I have tried calling to be told they are checking my modem then get told the call centre is now shut.  So how do you contact Telstra out of office hours 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Modem blew up

No, the 'messaging' facility is just that - messaging via the app. But it does work sometimes provided you ask the right questions in the simplest way possible...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7

You have this issue with the white Telstra modem?

If it is a power problem you need to report it, I'd suggest using the My Telstra app on your mobile device, got to Get Help then click on the blue chat window..

When Codi starts driving you crazy, type in "Speak to a Consultant" or even just "Consultant" and you will be put in a queue for someone to contact you back - that can take hours but as long as you don't log right out of the app and have Notifications enable, you can close the app and go about your day - you will get a message notification when the reply comes in - you are then straight in to the chat...

Good luck - sounds like the magic smoke might have got out of the modem, when that happens replacement is likely to be the only option...  was there a storm going on at the time? You are probably lucky that only one device failed....

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

Hi Steve .I have the app but it won’t take me to speak to anyone and yes I think you’re right about the magic smoke as it’s a very old modem. There was no storm at the time..wish me luck today to try sort it out lol

Ohh if you click the 3 little dots on the top right hand side you get to choose urgent and wow you get a reply from Codi

Yes, that is a good trick but it will be less effective if everyone does it...

Stevo 52
Accepted Solution

No, the 'messaging' facility is just that - messaging via the app. But it does work sometimes provided you ask the right questions in the simplest way possible...

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

Yay they said to restore it.. Did that work well I won't know until we have had it on for too long.. But I now know I'll just restore when it starts again 

You were told to restore the modem???  the one that made the pop smell, smelt burnt and stopped working??? In your place I would not be happy with that - and sorry to be a bearer of bad news, in my experience, if there is electrical damage, a restore can't possible fix it...  

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit