Fikeus
Level 2: Rookie

Modem Link Down - How to get proper support?

Answered

Hoping someone can help.

I called 13220 to report a fault with my Telstra NBN conneciton on Friday 12/05/2017 at around 11am.  The Telstra Gateway 2 (white mdoem) is not syncing, the link light goes white, white, then blue, then off, then back to white and cycles like this.  Factory reset done, restarted and so on.  Have a spare modem same problem.  On testing the modem at the neighbours place the modem connected fine.

On calling support they tested the line and said they would send a new modem which is expected to arrive this week however, at 6pm on the 12/05/2017 the modem connected and worked until Sunday morning 9am on the 14/05/2017 where the problem started again and has failed to reconnect since.  Somehow I doubt a replacement modem will fix the issue.  On explaining to 13220 that the modem worked next door, they said that it would work at other places but not your place becuase of the MAC address, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Is there someone I can contact directly that can escalate this issue to have the issue resolved properly?  The support on 13220 don't really seem to understand basic technical issues which makes it difficult for them to do anything unscripted and unforutnately for whatever reason the fault we are experiencing doesn't fit within there scripts as the line apparently passes the line tests.  Seems more like a possible issue in the Node or somewith to do with Tesltra's authentication system preventing the modem connecting.

In the modem status in the modem it goes from DSL "No Signal, to Initialising" then back to No Signal. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Modem Link Down - How to get proper support?

Try calling the 1800 834 273 number, which is the Telstra NBN number.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Try calling the 1800 834 273 number, which is the Telstra NBN number.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Fikeus

Thanks Jupiter.

I'll note this down.  I rang 13220 again this morning as our phone is down as a result of this issue.  The lady ran a line test and this time the line came back faulty so she scheduled a technician.  Said the line fault is outside of the home.  Also indicate the modem that is due to arrive should temporary fix the issue, but the technician is required to fix the issue permanently.  Not sure how that works, seems like they may have a Mac Address conflict issue or something as she asked for the Mac Address of the modem etc...  The support person was helpful, I do feel for them, as I guess they only have so many diagnosing tools they can use and there choices are based on what happens from those tests etc.  Maybe there is an issue with the particular modem I have, dunno.

I guess an explanation on what caused the problem, how the problem occured would help clients to undersatnd but it's not something we tend to hear.  

At least there is a technician scheduled and I'll wait and see what the modem replacement does.

Jupiter

If there is a line fault outside your home, then a new modem is not going to fix anything. She is just spinning you a line.

Fikeus

Hi Jupiter,

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure what is going on.  Haven't received the new modem yet, but the modem is now online again.  Sync Rate is the same as normal since they switched on co-existance.  We use to have 52Mb/s down, and 11Mb/s up, then overnight around 6 months ago dropped to 30Mb/s down, 6Mb/s then continued to drop to where it hovers around 23Mb/s down, 5/Mb/s up.  Telstra / NBN say that is due to co-existance.

Back up for now, guess when the new modem turns up I'll swap them over.  

It's very strange.  Hoepfully they'll sort the situation out and the phone / internet will not keep going down.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit