chrisraym0nd
Level 3: Gumshoe

Modem Power cable won't fit in outlet

Hi all, I've received my smart modem (Technicolor DJA0230) and I've been advised to connect all cables to the NBN Box (as it is located in the house) however the power cord won't fit. I've attached photos as reference but not sure what to do? TIA

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Modem Power cable won't fit in outlet

You could use a short extension cable.

chrisraym0nd

I don't know why I didn't think of this lmao, thank you!
TechHead123
Level 5: Eagle Eye

chrisraym0nd

That sort of plug won't work because the modem AC won't fit, as the extension is has a circle oval covering the main plug. If that makes sense?
chrisraym0nd

Hi there,

Is the NBN Box different to the socket behind the TV?
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Please be sure that whatever extension cable you putchase..... it has an Australian electrical approval number/tag
"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
chrisraym0nd

100% I don't trust eBay for buying electrical things.
cf4

The NBN power socket is not different you can use the [power socket behind the TV. The are all 240 Volt AC.

TechHead123

I understand what you are getting at, but the plug pack for my Smart Modem fits fine.

In fact, around here I haven't yet found a plug pack that doesn't fit that type of extension cable. Real old transformer-type plug pack may not fit.

TechHead123

I forgot to also say, yes it does pay to be wary about purchasing mains items online (and I'm an eleco) however in this case: 

• The item I linked to carries the required SAA certification number and marks, and the number comes up in a search of the SAA register, and
  • Selby is a retailer who have an online presence like HN etc., so its not like you are purchasing from OS or a private seller.

OP: if you've chosen to use a conventional i.e. long extension cable - and you may already be aware of this - don't have it coiled up for neatness, spread it out. New extension cables these days are required to carry a warning label requiring that. Coiled up generates heat (not much when just a plug pack is connected, but some nevertheless) and so can be a fire hazard.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit