Level 1: Cadet

Move to slower adsl from cable

I am moving from Brisbane to Melbourne.

In Brisbane I had cable at around 50-60 mbps on average.

At my new Melbourne address Telstra can only deliver ADSL at around 20 mbps - if I am very lucky.

My new address has fibre to the unit but not available to connect via Telstra.

My questions is this; am I compelled to continue with my contract in my new address if Telstra are unable/don't service the building i am moving to with nbn?

In my view it is unreasonable to expect a customer to be compelled to continue with Telstra if they do not offer a competitive option.

Feedback appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Move to slower adsl from cable

I think you should get advice from the TIO as to your contract.

Consider 4GX mobile broadband with a NightHawk  M2 modem. It gives me 200 to 300mb/s with just 1 bar of signal. Don’t consider 5G at present unless you are close enough to visibly see a 5G base station.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the feedback 

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

You are not compelled to continue your contract (there is no 24 month contract anyway - other than for modem repayments). You can switch to whoever services your complex with the best connection type.

Check out your landline based options first as mobile broadband is uneconomical for most people. The data is expensive and limited and won't cope with most people's streaming habits (streaming to a TV uses a lot more data than streaming to a mobile device).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit