Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Moved House > terrible connection 4pm - 11pm

Very frustrated.  I'll try to cut it short with little detail since I could ramble on at my troubleshooting I've tried since the problem started.

Been with Telstra bigpond for many years.  Am on ADSL2. I moved house in October 2012.  Here is where my troubles began.  Prior to the move, internet was fine.

Every day between 4pm to 11pm (roughly - give or take an hour). My latency spikes to large amounts that my connection is unbearable. (websites take a long time to load or simply time out, games I play will lag right out, youtube videos wont load) I have 3 machines connected to a netgear router.  It will produce the same results and high latency/slow internet between those times, every day, regardless of 3 machines being connected or one (I have tried all 3 seperately and by themselves).  My internet just slows right down to unplayable latency.

I did all the right things when I moved (reset my modem back to factory settings when I moved), cleared out any old settings on each computer.  I actually rang Telstra several times to ask my lines were checked out as the internet was so bad and was told they could see it was slow between the times I stated. Because I had to make more than several calls my support had been escalated to a 'higher up tech (sorry not familiar with the term).

The long story short here is nothing has changed.  No matter what I do, from 4pm - 11pm I can barely do anything online.

Right now there is no point posting a pathping or trace for anyone to see/read as it's 11:53pm and the 'bad time' has passed for the day.

Here is a thread I posted on a gaming forum I play at with more details and pathping etc included:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7908631161

I am not sure if you can gain any information from that but I am the OP of the thread.

I am at my wits end and quite frankly I'm tired of calling telstra with no resolution to my situation so here I am looking for answers and hoping someone can assist me.

Is it my new house?  Is this just something I have to deal with?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: Moved House > terrible connection 4pm - 11pm

Hi!

Please post a bit more information. Please provide your modem/router status page showing link speed for both down/up, attenuation (if your router displays it, some dont), encapsulation and multiplexing method. Also provide a pingtest.net and a speedtest.net result along with what suburb and state you live in.

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Sadly it sounds like the exchanges PIPE it at and beyond its capacity.

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed9285 kbps853 kbps
Line Attenuation47.0 db23.5 db
Noise Margin6.7 db

6.0 db

Highlighted

Router Status

Hardware VersionDGN2200
Firmware VersionV1.0.0.46_7.0.44
GUI Language VersionV1.0.0.30

Internet Port
MAC Address -------
IP Address -------
Network Type PPPoA
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
Gateway IP Address 172.-------
Domain Name Server
61.9.-----
61.9.-----

LAN Port
MAC Address C4:3D:C7:59:B8:F2
IP Address 192.168.0.1
DHCP On
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Modem
ADSL Firmware VersionA2pB025c1.d21j2
Modem Statusconnected
DownStream Connection Speed9285 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed853 kbps
VPI8
VCI35

Wireless Port
Name (SSID)----------
RegionAustralia
Channel--
ModeUp to 54 Mbps
Wireless APOff
Broadcast NameOff
Highlighted

Sorry, not great on computers, had difficulty getting that stuff into a post lol

Anyways, there is really no point in posting information/speed test ping test, because as I stated in my first post, the problem ONLY ever exists between 4pm to 11pm - my prime time.  You will not see the full extent of my problem unless I post results between those times.

I apologise for the delay in my post - I went to bed =D

As for the state, I'm in adelaide

If what Caaf said in his reply is true.  Is there any way to actually get decent internet for the times I seem to be struggling?  Could changing ISP's fix the problem?  I really don't care about the money, I'd even pay whatever time is remaining on the contract, I just need faster internet during the late afternoon/early night.  I'd like to know if it's possible or if I'm grasping at straws and it's impossible.

Thank you

Highlighted

Just so you understand, I have tried all of the normal troubleshooting procedures regarding my modem and even my adsl account.  Settings were tried and changed on my account regarding noise on the line when I was receiving technical support through telstra.

If I run another isolation test or have to power cycle my modem one more time I think I might literally snap =D  But no seriously - I have tried just about everything, and now I would like to know if it's some kind of problem that is not controlled by me.

Just so you can see the differences between now, and what I will experience later..  here are results from a ping and speed test right now at 10:48am when my connection is okay.  (It's not perfect, I realise this, but I am happy with where it is unlike how I know I will be feeling later tonight):

http://www.pingtest.net/result/77721611.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2537100323.png

Later on I will post the results again when the connection goes bad.

Highlighted

If you have exchange/RIM/cabinet based congestion, which is what this sounds like, changing providers may not be of assistance at all.  This is because in these cases often the other providers will use Telstra's equipment to provide the service.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted

So...

If this is out of my control, Telstra can not fix my issue and I have to suffer through these speeds for a large part of a 24hour period (and the time where it would be the most useful to me), and changing ISP's would not fix this problem..  I mayaswell lower my plan with them since I am not really receiving an adsl2 connection.  TBH, it's more like the old dial up days 15 years ago.  To me, it seems silly paying for what is meant to be a top notch connection - when really - it is not.

What do you suggest I do from here?

FYI, I am currently on ADSL2+ Elite® Liberty - 200GB - it kinda seems like a waste to me.

Opinions and suggestions welcomed.

Highlighted

From time to time they do backhaul upgrades, but don't hold your breath waiting for it.

Perhaps see if any of the other major providers have their OWN equipment that is available to you.  This is unlikely, but you won't lose anything by checking on their website.  However if they are going to sell you an 'off-net' or 'regional' plan then it's probably just through Telstra anyway and you'll likely have the same problems.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi,

You're suffering from congestion without a doubt. Have a look at Internode and TPG's websites to see if they have their own exchanges in your area. If so call telstra tech support and get them to confirm congestion at the exchange and they will offer to let you out of your contract at no charge, then churn to either of the above. 

Getting telstra to even consider planning a upgrade is a major battle, its best to just take your money elsewhere if possible.

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

D_Spec wrote:

Is it my new house?  Is this just something I have to deal with?

Not your new house per se, but (the other ADSL users in) your new neighbourhood.

If BigPond Cable is available to you at your new house, get it! That's the only way to get away from the congestion and get a better fixed line broadband connection. Other than that, you can either move to whether there is NBN now, or wait for NBN to come to your location. There is nothing to ‘fix’ with regard to the ADSL (inclusive of ADSL2+) network, which isn't technically broken, but just not up to supporting the current demand for capacity.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted

Thank you all, for the input.

I have again made another complaint with Telstra and actually mentioned (for the first time) congestion.  While I haven't asked if cable is available, when I receive a response from Telstra I will enquire about cable.  I have branched out to Internode and made enquires on if they have their own equipment for my adsl here.

I guess I will wait for responses and take it from there.  But it sounds like this is a widespread problem in certain areas and there isn't much I can do (that is only speculation!).  I really didn't have any idea this problem even existed, as my previous home (home for many years) never had any issue.

Once again, thank you for the help and allowing me to lay my frustrations out on your community forum =D

There are a bunch of very friendly and helpful people at crowdsupport, keep up the good work everyone and have a lovely day.

If there is a good outcome for my situation, I will post back with results.

Kind regards

Lisa

Highlighted

I did 2 things since my previous post last week;

I contacted Telstra with another complaint regarding my service during prime time hours.

I contacted Internode and explained my situation to see if they could offer anything that would be a better service.

I have not heard back from Telstra and it has been almost a week. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, quite frankly I was getting tired of running isolation tests, reboots and testing my hardware, changing my online settings when every technician I spoke to outside Telstra tells me my issue is undoubtedly congestion.  If Telstra don't admit to me that my issue is congestion and continue to run test after test on my end when it's clear to me that the problem IS congestion how do I prove anything?  Will I have to pay the remaining of the contract if there is one? They are going to just continue to have me check and recheck my hardware as they have done for the past 4 months.  I am not tech savvy.  I have runs traces and tests for other people because I have no clue what I'm reading, just my internet is bad during Prime Time.

Okay enough of that..

Internode DID get back to me (today)...

Part of their email was the following:

I guess my question is, considering they have said this, does that mean 100% sure I will receive better internet if I switch?  What if I change and it's not better/just as bad on their own equipment.  Does that happen often?

Thank you for your email regarding connecting with Internode.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're currently experiencing with Telstra, and I hope that I can assist in answering your questions today.

To begin, I've now investigated the phone number you provided and am pleased to advise that we appear to have our Easy Broadband plans available at your local Mt Barker exchange. These plans use our own hardware, and offer ADSL2+ speeds of up to 24Mbps. As these plans use our own equipment, they likely will not be subject to the current congestion issues you're experiencing with Telstra. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit