Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Moving house and getting new Telstra plan (NBN FTTP at premises already)

Hi all,

I am moving house in a week to a house that has nbn FTTP already there. I ordered an internet  nbn plan from Telstra 4 days ago and apart from a confirmation Email with an order reference number I have heard nothing since. Is this normal ? The email said 24-48 hours and it’s been 4 days. I’m not sure whether to wait on the phone (timed out after 37 minutes today) or go into a store, given online chat is currently out of order. The order reference number doesnt work on track my order and I see no record of the order on my Telstra account.

im sure they are disrupted due to covid 19 so I don’t want to be impatient but how long is too long ? Should I go for another provider as a backup?  Critical that I have internet working when I get there as working from home, kids home schooled etc.

Any advice much appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Moving house and getting new Telstra plan (NBN FTTP at premises already)

Answering from the end backwards.

You cannot order from another provider as backup. If you place another order, it will cancel your Telstra order (or given that you are on FTTP, it could possibly result in you getting 2 services and their associated charges).

There will be delays as NBN Co needs to allocate a technician to do the connection, and they will be short staffed as well.

If you want to chase up your order, send the consultants a message via Facebook or Twitter and they should be able to chase it up for you. Don't post the details in the message, they will ask you to send a DM to get them.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

"send the consultants a message via Facebook or Twitter and they should be able to chase it up for you"

Who are these consultants and what is their Facebook contact? I'm in a similar situation

Highlighted

I tried every way I could to get in touch. I ended up giving up and going with another ISP. Was connected within 6 hours. Now I have done everything I can to cancel my order, but again, no response.

I assume they have been impacted heavily by Covid-19, obviously affects some business more than others.

Highlighted

I've already had the modem pack delivered. Just not connected to the NBN yet. 

I need that connected if I am to work from home in this current environment.

Highlighted

Search Telstra on either Facebook or Twitter and send a message to that account.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I tried all of those comms methods. There is an immediate reply relating to Covid-19 and priority and significantly longer than normal wait times. @jermags at some point in time you might want to consider doing what I did and go elsewhere, even if just in the short term. There is a risk of having two services set up (hopefully one wont overwrite the other, but if it does then I'll just switch to that one I guess - having access is the priority over doubling up), but I've sent of as many cancellation requests to all of the Telstra channels I know of.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit