Shanuan
Level 2: Rookie

MS Outlook 2016 only showing last 5 weeks of mail

I am using Outlook 2016 for my email. Suddenly all emails older then 5 weeks have disappeared. I have not changed any settings. This is a recent problem. It happened once before and I got them back from my laptop which runs Outlook 2010, but now it's gone again. I cannot anything in the various settings that might be causing this.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: MS Outlook 2016 only showing last 5 weeks of mail

Check what you have set in Outlook for the account, under Sync settings - 'Keep mail offline for...'

To avoid that applying you can change it, but the option is to set up a folder structure under the common Outlook Data File..  and move emails to that manually or with rules..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Shanuan

Thanks for your reply. My Sync setting is "All" and nothing else is ticked.

SteveW_52

Do you have more than one device accessing that email account?

Stevo 52
Shanuan

Yes I have, my laptop, running Office 2010. But I have been doing that for years and never has been an issue.

BTW the 2010 Outlook does not have that problem, fortunately.

SteveW_52

Are both instances of your account setup as IMAP? 

If the 2010 version is showing all the emails, then possibly it is the POP version?

If they are both IMAP, go through the account settings of each, side by side, to see what the differences are.

You don't have that account on a mobile or other email client (Windows 10 Mail etc.)?

Stevo 52
Shanuan

My Desktop and laptop are the only devices that have email.

My laptop has POP and my desktop is IMAP. I do not really know what the difference is.

Thanks for your efforts so far, very much appreciated.

SteveW_52

Have you had a look at what is in Webmail for that account? 

In Outlook, you can have both POP and IMAP set up for the same account, at the same time..  so you could try doing that and see if downloads all those earlier emails?

On the 2010 version, do you keep all those emails in the Inbox, or in different folders?

You can export the emails from the 2010 version and import them to the 2016 version of Outlook..  but if you do that it might be a good idea to import them into a new, different folder...

POP and IMAP (newer technology) are different ways of accessing email accounts - the main differences are:

- IMAP synchs the account across multiple devices (i.e. changes on one device are reflected across all instances of the account on other devices)

- IMAP allows you to download the server folder list and manage how that is stored on your local device.

There is a lot of information on line about the two methods..  Telstra recommend the IMAP version.

Stevo 52
Shanuan

Yes I did go and had a look at Webmail, but that has the same problem and same cut off date.

With the 2010 version I do my own archiving. e.g. Archive/inbox/2019 and the same for sent items.

I archive everything that is 3 months or older.

I will go and try your suggestions (will take some time) and will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for your assistance.

SteveW_52

It is good that you do the archiving/saving thing..  it is the only safe way to retain older emails..  it protects against any maintenance or remedial activity on the server that can 'lose' saved emails...  if the emails are not visible in any of the folders in Webmail, they most likely no longer exist..

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit