Badger123
Level 2: Rookie

MS Teams Screen Share Packet loss

Hi All,

I have a weird issue. I am on HFC and recently been seeing very high packet loss on MS Teams when sharing my screen. 

When I screen share the other user is around 15 seconds behind, statistics shown as below - 

Average round-trip time
6637 ms
Maximum round-trip time
12010 ms
Average jitter
26 ms
Maximum jitter
72 ms
Average packet loss rate
47.50%
Maximum packet loss rate
69.85%

If I use my Telstra mobile 4g I don't have any problems. 

Looks to be a routing issue, anyone else having this issue?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: MS Teams Screen Share Packet loss

It could be a routing issue. It could also be a Microsoft Server issue.

What is the Upload speed on your service? If you are on a 50/20Mbps service, then upload speeds should be fine. If your Upload speeds are down around the 4Mbps, then it could cause a problem.

Sometimes, your PC can also contribute to the problem. Open Task Manager and have a look to see how much CPU % is being used.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SkywalkerIsNull

This seems to be a Telstra specific issue. Here I have documented it on the Microsoft Forums: Re: My webcam freezes on other participants end - Microsoft Tech Community

And here is a Whirlpool post about it: Telstra NBN Fixed Wireless - Microsoft Teams fault - Telstra Wireless (whirlpool.net.au)

Any ideas on what can be tweaked from Telstra side to make it work?

DizzyStuff
Level 1: Cadet

I'm having exactly the same problem both at work and at home.  If I switch from either my home or work network to 4G my Teams is fine.  It's making screen sharing within Teams impossible!  

SkywalkerIsNull

Last night I applied to Aussie Broadband (they switched me over in approx. 20mins after the online application without having to talk to anyone) and all my meetings this morning have been perfect. 

Badger123

Thanks for your additional input's, its helpful to know that I'm not the only one with this issue.

I have done some further troubleshooting with Microsoft, it appears to be a routing issue specifically with Telstra (As suspected), they are pushing audio and media down the same traffic flow. I did the same test's with a friend who's on ABB and its shows they hit a MS end point for media traffic. 

On my Telstra connection if I screen share via web client I have no issues, going to analyze the traffic for that as I suspect it routes correctly via MS end point.

Bowana
Level 1: Cadet

Oh, you have no idea how good it is to finally find others who are having the same issues as me.  

To be more specific, I use my own router (unifi) and have had the issues you describe almost exactly.  However, when I switch to the Telstra supplied smart modem...performance tanks.  I thought it would be some setup on the router but I've been through everything about 10 times and can't find any difference.  My only conclusion is that Telstra must route traffic differently from their own routers than the 3rd party routers.  Is that even logical? 

IGA

I have a similar issue with Teams.

I am on a Telstra NBN package. If I do a speed test and am getting 140MB download and about 14-15Mb upload. Have done tests on Packet Loss and it is all good.

When we use Teams the other participants (other end of the call) get pixilation of video and the sound can drop in and out. This happens on both my Surface Pro (Windows 10) and my wife's Mac (which is OS 11). Both are latest and greatest.

If we switch to our mobile devices (tether) then our Teams meets run as they should.

This issue has been a problem for the past 3-4 weeks approx...

If anyone has any recommendation that would be appreciated....

Cheers

Aspi
Brendan28

Wow - So good to see I'm not the only one. I've been troubleshooting this since April. I don't have the solution yet, but here is some info to help others.

- Issue only happens after Teams version 1.4.00.4167. Only versions after this will have the issues (Video and screen sharing issues).

- I connected directly to the NBN CM8200 modem (multiple ethernet cables tried) to rule out all home networking components. The issue still exists.

- I replaced by NBN CM8200 modem given it was the only variable at home. The issue still exists.

- I can replicate this on 3 different laptops (2 x lenovo, 1 x HP)

- All 3 laptops work when tethering to phone using 4G (Also Telstra). No issues ever.

- Compared Teams diagnostic logs between 1.4.00.4167 and newer versions. Logs look the same - nothing stands out.

- I've had IT Support review the Teams quality dashboard - Nothing helpful discovered.

- Tried loads of different Teams settings, drivers etc.. Unfortunately I did this before discovering its an issue on all laptops I have at home.

In conclusion, there is definitely an issue upstream from the NBN modem however there is little chance of speaking to someone at Telstra support that would understand this or even begin to investigate further. Smiley Sad

The only option I have left is switching providers. Although it seems Optus might also have the issue but I can't confirm this - Microsoft Teams poor performance on NBN 100 with s... - Page 4 - Yes Crowd - 642857 (optus.com.au)

Badger123

Just an update from me, it appears that my screen sharing is now working and has been stable for a week.

This is 100% a Telstra routing issue and it also happens on other ISP's too. I used wireshark to narrow down the issue, originally I could see that the Audio and Media traffic when on a Teams call was treated the same. MS informs me that this should not be the case and Media traffic should hit a teams endpoint. In Teams Web (which always worked) showed this to be true, since the last week any calls on Teams thick client now shows Media traffic flow to be hitting the correct endpoint.

No changes made by me, assume Telstra backend corrected the routing. 

Brendan28

Interesting - I'm still experiencing the issues.

Badger123 - What did mean by audio and media was treated the same - QoS markings? Or was it the destination IPs/endpoints that were different?

In my situation I find it strange that it still works perfectly when using the older Teams version - would have thought if it was a QoS and/or routing issue within Telstra it would impact all versions of Teams.

Jupiter

Given that the endpoint is controlled by Microsoft, the explanation from @Badger123 is a bit odd. Routing and Destination are two completely different things. Routing is highly influenced by the carrier, but the endpoint is controlled by the app/service.

If I have two pieces of information and tell one to go to aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa:xxxx and the other to bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb:yyyy then they are going to arrive at those locations no matter how they are directed through the network. The routing will affect how long it takes, and whether it arrives at all.

Sounds like Microsoft's settings in Teams got out of whack.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Brendan28

I agree with that theory Jupiter. To add to that, 1 to 1 Teams calls are direct between the two callers so there shouldn't be any intermediate MS Teams endpoint(s) within the routing path.

To make it more confusing however, the same device with the same teams version that has issues works fine if tethering via 4G rather than using the NBN & Telstra network.

In summary, the issue can be alleviated by either:

- Using an old MS teams version - Indicating MS Teams as the root case

- Leverage the 4G network - Indicating NBN/Telstra as the root cause.

Not sure how this could be resolved without MS & Telstra working together to investigate further.

Jupiter

Upload speed is the biggest limiting factor on MS Teams.

I have no problems with MS Teams as I have a 100/100Mbps connection, so do not suffer from a lack of Upstream or Downstream capacity.

4G normally works better than an NBN connection as the Upstream capacity is typically far greater.

If your up connection doesn't have capacity, then that is where you start getting "robot voice" or complete dropouts. Teams is not overly efficient in its transcoding of audio or video streams.

Brendan28

That is true. In my case I have 100/40 so plenty of capacity. Any speed tests show that I have that full downstream and upstream bandwidth available.

I should probably add this is not an intermittent issue. The issue occurs 100% of the time when using the latest Teams on the NBN/Telstra network. The issue does not occur 100% of the time when using older teams (1.4.00.4167) or 4G tethering.

Badger123

Hi @Jupiter , I am unsure why my explanation was odd. The logs that was analyzed by myself and MS clearly showed that the media traffic flow did not hit the MS endpoint, therefore it was passed by ISP with audio traffic on the wrong port range that MS use. I was receiving a crazy round-trip with huge packet loss. 

I can now see that my Audio and Media traffic are taking two separate paths with the media hitting the MS endpoint within the correct port range. 

@Brendan28 With a 1x1 call it can either take media relay (MS endpoint) or P2P. If P2P the behavior is down to Network ICE. I cannot explain however why you have found older version on Teams client works.

Jupiter

MS Teams controls the ports that the data stream from the app uses. Telstra cannot change the ports that it uses. That's why I said it is a Microsoft issue. If an app sends a data packet to a particular IP address using a particular port, Telstra's routing doesn't change it. All it can do is send it via a particular path to the end point. The app controls the final destination.

Brendan28

Yes, that would make sense for the cause of delay - Teams somehow incorrectly chooses an MS endpoint / relay that is not optimal / close by.

I performed a Wireshark capture and compared the march Teams version and the new Teams version in regards to what destination IPs (MS Teams endpoints/relays) were used. In both cases, the IPs were based in Azure NSW DCs rather than a sub-optimal relay elsewhere in the world.

I can't see how I could possibly change anything on my end to get this working other than using the March version of Teams or using a cellular/4G network. 

Is anyone else still experiencing this issue - Teams video and/or screen sharing quality is extremely poor/unusable? Again for me, its 100% of the time, not intermittent.

IGA

Hey,

Just a quick note if you are running Google Nest WiFi with Telstra and MS Teams there is an issue to do with an update that dropped about 4-5 weeks ago.

Found the fix via this link to https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3l101182

What you need to do is disable the preferred activities settings and then force a network restart.

How to:

Google Home > WiFi > Settings > Preferred Activities > Uncheck Video Conferencing

Google Home > WiFi > Settings > Restart Network

Cheers

Aspi

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit