EliteIV
Level 1: Cadet

My internet is being cut off due to being hacked?

Answered

So I got a call from the home phone (that I do not share the number with anyone as it's required for an internet connection and just sits there.) about an automated robot saying our internet connection is being cut off due to our IP address being hacked. I'm not really sure what that means and I am definitely not sure if it's legit. Wouldn't have got an email or a personalized call from Telstra in regards to this? Or even a letter in the mail.

Community Director of XtG Community AU/NZ
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: My internet is being cut off due to being hacked?

It's a scam. Telstra would not contact you in this manner.

You do not own an IP address, they are dynamically allocated by the Telstra network. If there was a problem where an IP address had been compromised, Telstra would cancel the lease on the IP address and your service would be allocated a new one automatically (a process that takes less than 30 seconds from your perspective).

You wouldn't even know (or be told) about it.

If they suspected that suspicious activity was originating from your computer, the odds are that they would cut off your service and then contact you (or more likely contact the Police, who would pay you a visit to check).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

It's a scam. Telstra would not contact you in this manner.

You do not own an IP address, they are dynamically allocated by the Telstra network. If there was a problem where an IP address had been compromised, Telstra would cancel the lease on the IP address and your service would be allocated a new one automatically (a process that takes less than 30 seconds from your perspective).

You wouldn't even know (or be told) about it.

If they suspected that suspicious activity was originating from your computer, the odds are that they would cut off your service and then contact you (or more likely contact the Police, who would pay you a visit to check).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

EliteIV
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for your reply, 

Yeah, it did seem fishy, It was strange though. Usually, scams are asking for credentials or some form of payment to fix the issue, etc, It was just an automated message about our internet service being shut off for a few days due to our IP being hacked.

Glad to know that this was not the official way Telstra would've alerted me if an issue like this occurred genuinely though.

Community Director of XtG Community AU/NZ

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit