Perrychef
Level 5: Eagle Eye

My Internet is slow.

G'day,

My internet has slowed down.

I have been trying to get Telstra to do tests.  It goes so far then stop.  I receive this.

It goes to about 25%.  I cannot understand why it states cannot connect when the internet is still running.  I tried so many times.  At one time it just stopped I sat in front of the computer waiting for something to happen.  I received a message saying that you have left the computer for over 20 minutes.  Please try again.

I would appreciate any help please to get my internet back to the same speed it was before.

Cheers Perry

Snap ShotSnap shotSnap ShotSnap Shot

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: My Internet is slow.

What colour are the lights on the modem?

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Go to https://speedtest.net and run a test from there. What speeds to you get? This will help to tell us if there is an issue with your internet connection.

Open File Explorer and Right Click on your C:\ drive and tell us how large your hard drive is and how much free space is available. Computers will grind to a halt if there is not enough free space to use as a swap file. Then click on "Disk Cleanup" and you will be able to delete temporary files, downloads, etc that are no longer needed in order to free up some space. This should help get your computer running a bit more efficiently.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Perrychef

G'day cf4,

Thank you for your rely.

Three lights on the top of the modem are on.  The Signal light changes from orange to green the Link goes from white to green, The Online light is green & the Phone light is off.  On the side the Wi Fi light is Green The Pair light is off. The Power light is green.

Cheers Perry

cf4

Thanks for posting that information.

The Signal light indicates the strength of the received mobile signal. Green is good and orange is Okay.

Is the link light constantly changing from white to green and then back to white?

If you have a FTTN connection this would indicate an intermittent cable fault that will require a technician to fix. You will need to contact Telstra support and lodge a fault.

Perrychef

G'day Jupiter,

So sorry about the long delay in getting back to you.  I had trouble getting onto Crowd Support.

I did that Speed Test.  Here are the results.  I hope that is helpful.

I have more free space on my Drive than used space.  I have removed as much as I can and have done Disk Cleanup.

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers Perry

Jupiter

Are you on an ADSL connection (in which case those speeds are what should be expected)? Or have you migrated across to the NBN?

If the link light on the modem keeps changing from White to Green, then that indicates a possible fault on your service and you would need to organise a technician to come and check it out.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit