ffghd2
Level 2: Rookie

My internet speed is constantly dropping

I have been with telstra for nearly 6 months and ever since our account was activated there has been drop outs and constant speed drops. Recently the internet hasn't been dropping out but the speed is always dropping, it would be at 3mbps then 3 minutes later it will be in the 0.1 to 0.7mbps. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Re: My internet speed is constantly dropping

Do you have any noise/static on the line when you pick-up the handset? If so, call faults on 132203 and report it.

If however you don't, then the next step is an isolation test. This helps rule out common causes for issues of slowing speeds and dropouts.

Instructions can be found at http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

Once this is done, if you still have issues (with single computer connected by Ethernet and modem with short cable to first socket) then it's time to report the fault to Telstra tech support on 133933.

Also, do you mind posting your line stats from your modem?

Sync Speeds

Attenuation

SnR Ratio

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
ffghd2

No there is no noise/static from my handset so the line isn't faulty. 

Here is the results from the isolation test

Isolation Test Just Phone Socket.PNG

I did the test a few times and this was the speed it stayed on.

The result from the isolation test is also about the same speed as i would get using the wifi when it doesn't drop.

I'm not sure where to find my line stats, i have the technicolor tgn797n v3

Thanks for the quick reply 🙂

Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

I believe the Thomson/Technicolor modems can be accessed either via http://192.168.1.254/ or http://10.0.0.138

The default username and password is admin / admin

Then under Broadband Connection there should be a View More option under DSL connection. This should give you the modem stats.

I apologise if things don't match up exactly as I'm remembering from when I used to have a Thomson modem from Telstra.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
ffghd2

Broadband Info.PNG

This was the only information in the broadband tab.

If the info you need isn't there then here is a photo of the other tabs. Thought you might be able to point one out.

Other Tabs.PNG

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit