sma888
Level 4: Private Eye

My Wifi network SSID won't show up

Answered

I loss wifi connection on my PC and usually I just restart the PC or the router and the problem is fixed. But this time it didn't. I run a trouble shooter and the system keep saying I haven't chosen to connect to an available network. The problem is if my wifi network SSID didn't show up, how can I choose one to connect. The following are what I had done:

1. restart the PC

2. power off and on the modem router

3. PC reset and reinstall window 10

4. Successfully connect my pc to my iphone's hotspot without cable, this proved that my network wireless adaptor is not dead

5. I have 1 other PC and 5 mobile devices all working fine with auto connect to my wifi network

6. I replaced the wireless network adaptor with a spare one, but the SSID still didn't show up

7. I check my telstra smart modem router and the SSID broadcast is set to on.

8. I use a cat5 cable to connect my PC to the modem router and I have ethernet connection. 

So why my wifi network SSID won't show up on my PC? Please share your experience if you have similar problem before. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: My Wifi network SSID won't show up

You modem’s 2.4GHz  radio could be malfunctioning.

In the modem settings turn off Band Steering and check the SSIDs.  The 5GHz one will have “5G” as part of its name.

View solution in original post

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

It is common for the 2.4 GHz WiFi to go faulty and stop transmitting. The PC that can't see the WiFi probably only has a 2.4 GHz WiFi adapter. Your other devices are probably dual band and are connecting to the modem's 5GHz WiFi.

To check if the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty suggest you log into modem and go to Advanced > Devices. There is a list of all connected devices and how they are connected. If all wifi devices are connected to 5GHz then 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Dowser
Accepted Solution

You modem’s 2.4GHz  radio could be malfunctioning.

In the modem settings turn off Band Steering and check the SSIDs.  The 5GHz one will have “5G” as part of its name.

cf4
Accepted Solution

It is common for the 2.4 GHz WiFi to go faulty and stop transmitting. The PC that can't see the WiFi probably only has a 2.4 GHz WiFi adapter. Your other devices are probably dual band and are connecting to the modem's 5GHz WiFi.

To check if the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty suggest you log into modem and go to Advanced > Devices. There is a list of all connected devices and how they are connected. If all wifi devices are connected to 5GHz then 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

sma888

Thanks for the response. I did turn off the Band Steering as you suggested. The network SSID Telstraxxx999-5G then showed up in the available network list. I select it and enter the network key and get connected. I then unplugged the ethernet cable. Ethernet connection gone and my wifi network Telstraxxx999-5G remained, but not for long, it dropped out after about 1 minute and I am back to square one. I have to plug the ethernet cable back to stay connected to internet.

sma888

Thanks for the response.The wireless adaptor I am using is ASUS PCE-AC68 and according to the specification, it has dual-band:

• 5th generation 802.11ac chipset gives you dual-band,2.4GHz/5GHz for up to super-fast 1.30Gbps

I check the devices and found 1 iphone and 1 ipad run on 5GHz and 6 other devices run on 2.4 GHz, so both 2.4GHz and 5GHz are working for some devices except the PC. I can't tell which GHz my PC's Wifi is running on because I can't connect it to wifi. Is there a way that I can manually choose which GHz my PC can connect wifi to?

sma888

I turned back on the Band Steering. Restart the modem router. All of a sudden my wifi's SSID appears on the available list. I selected it and click connect, then enter the network key. I get connected. Although it drops out a few times, the SSID stays on the available list and I can connect again. It uses the 2.4GHz. So it is very hard to explain what had happened. All I had done was to turn the Band Steering button to off and on, then restart the modem router, then the Network SSID begins to appear on the available list. Now I can unplug the cat5 cable and have wireless connection. Anyway, thanks Dowser and cf4 for your suggestions which led me in the right direction and have this problem fixed. Thank you so much.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit