Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Mysteriously slowed speed

Answered

Just wondering if this is normal:

Previous month, we finally upgraded out broadband to 200GB and the DL speeds were great (500 - 900 kb/s for all downloads). Modem (given to us by Telstra) is directly connected to the iMac so I doubt ther would be a problem there. However, yesterday I noticed the download speed seems to be rather bipolar at times. Whereas before my lowest speed was around 500kb/s, now my lowest speed is 76.5 kb/s.

Ouch.

Haven't done a thing to the modem since setting it up and have accounted for the school holidays placing some stress on the network. Interesting this is the speedtest.net test shows everything is normal, but my DL speeds are still in the crapper. Is there anything I can do to improve it or is this a thing that will resolve itself eventually?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Mysteriously slowed speed

OK...everything has been miraculously solved by doing these ancient steps imparted to me by the fly buzzing around my head.

1) Check the modem

2) Switch off said modem.

3) Switch back on said modem and freak out as the lights take too long to blink on

4) Freak out and go into the gateway thingy on the open browser (you know, the thing that lets you see what modem you have and all that jazz.)

5) Poke around but don't change any of the settings

6) Restart download and shout for joy, scaring the crap out of the family walking outside.

OK...maybe not the last one

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

OK...everything has been miraculously solved by doing these ancient steps imparted to me by the fly buzzing around my head.

1) Check the modem

2) Switch off said modem.

3) Switch back on said modem and freak out as the lights take too long to blink on

4) Freak out and go into the gateway thingy on the open browser (you know, the thing that lets you see what modem you have and all that jazz.)

5) Poke around but don't change any of the settings

6) Restart download and shout for joy, scaring the crap out of the family walking outside.

OK...maybe not the last one

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

LOL, thanks for the solution.

Can you list what model gateway you have?

Your solution may help others in future.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

76.5KB/s thats my average, i wish i could resart my modem and get 500....lucky you

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit