Level 1: Cadet

Naked cable to nbn - price hike?

Hi – I’m currently on the BigPond naked cable plan ($69.95 p mth) which gives me 100Mbps and a 1000GB allowance. I have received a mandatory NBN changeover notice, but there is no equivalent “naked” plan on NBN, so I’m looking at a $40 p mth price hike to $110 per month with Telstra to keep similar speeds on nbn to what I’m getting now. And wondering if anyone found a way to keep their speeds without a price hike - is changing to a cheaper provider the only option? Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Naked cable to nbn - price hike?

Having faught this battle over past few days, I feel your pain.

Although unpublished on any Telstra webpages, you do have the option to transfer to NBN technology with exactly the same Cable Plan that you have now BUT as you (and I) get a "standard speed" of 100+ Mbps download ... "standard speed" for NBN is 25 / 4.

So you can ask to stay on your $69.95 plan BUT at greatly reduced speed ... that is if you can "speak" to anyone at Telstra, who are not speaking to customers at the moment.

So, if that is what you are prepared to accept as a new NBN Plan, then prepare to battle it out over a webchat session.

HINT: make it VERY CLEAR from the outset that you want to stay on your current plan, or they will go into standard line of "this is the new plan for you" ... and it will take an hour to get them back to what you want from them.

But if it's equivalent speed only that you want/need, you'll pay much more for it with all providers 

Wishing you better luck than I've had so far,  R.

Level 25: The Singularity

While you can migrate on your existing plan, the grandfathered plans are all being retired, and very shortly everyone will be migrated to one of the current offerings.

This is happening with Mobile services as well. Telstra are reducing their offerings and not allowing people to stay on old plans anymore in order to simplify their billing systems (as there were hundreds of plans active in the system).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 1: Cadet

Have you had any luck in talking to an actual person from Telstra. Is there a secret number? It appears they just hide behind their phones these days. I am not sure how issues get resolved.  

They are only taking calls for critical issues at the moment.

To contact Telstra, you will need to send a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen) and if Codi redirects you, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. It can take a few hours to get an initial response and you will receive a notification through the app when a consultant responds.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 2: Rookie

Thank you for your responses but as I had an actual outage during my 'chat' to try to cancel my Telstra Account, it seemed I still could not speak to a person about my outage ... and Telstra online webpage did not record my outage.

Never mind, my sympathies to all remaining Telstra customers as I have managed to escape into the hands of a Service Provider that answers my Helpdesk calls (four so far) and resolves my queries in less than five minutes each time.

Good luck,  Reno

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit