CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

NBN AND PHONE CONNECTION

Answered

Hi I have the old phone socket screwed to the wall inside the house the socket is not near where the modem will be.

I had a extension cable to the modem i'm using now from the socket.

Can anyone advise if this will still work there is only one phone on this line and the ADSL Modem at the moment and i want to connect the NBN Gateway to it when it is Self Installed.

Many Thanks for any assistance

Les

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN AND PHONE CONNECTION

Your current setup will work (although the extension is not ideal as it introduces signal loss). You will just swap modems over.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Assuming you get a FTTN connection, then you connect your modem in the same way that you do now (to the same socket).

The phone on the other hand gets connected to your modem (there is a socket for it on the back, or you can pair a DECT handset to the modem).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Sorry should have said FTTN was just worried i would have to have the Wall socket moved which is almost Impossible to do i believe Many Thanks

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Hi Les, we connected to the nbn 2 weeks ago,when you receive your gateway modem from telstra there will be a nbn handset included in the box,once you are switched to the nbn you can plug the handset into any 240v powerpoint and it automatically connects  to the modem ( which can be in another room ). After that you can plug your old phone into the back of your new modem and use it again, hope this helps.

aldton

Highlighted

Many Thanks for your advise But i think i have worded it wrong somehow The Original socket has a extension cable to take it to another part of the room will the NBN still work this way or does it have to be plug to the Original socket without the extension ???

The socket one end of room i have purchased a cable to extend it to the other end of the room my present setup works like this will my NBN Setup also allow this to happen

Thanks

Les

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Your current setup will work (although the extension is not ideal as it introduces signal loss). You will just swap modems over.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Many Thanks for all assistance

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit