CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

NBN are they serious?

Hi all,I was forced to go to NBN from cable in September and have had nothing but trouble. Low speeds down to 8Mbps. Previously I had 100Mbps. Wi FI doesn't work through the house as before.Have had to put boosters around for internet and new cordless phones had to be boosted also. So straight up it has cost me to transfer my service across to NBN. Have been told I have to pay to access my old speeds, but I know people who are paying extra and still have low speeds. To top it off Telstra keep charging me for my old service that should have been disconnected on the 4th October which they forgot to do.Multiple complaints to Telstra and even to the Ombudsman can't seem to sort out the mess I'm in. I am so over talking to people who don't listen to what I'm telling them or don't understand what I'm telling them. The complaints case manager I had lied to me several times on what he said he'd done for me as I caught him out by going through another operator and finding he'd done nothing. So my case was close with no result at all. ( of course)I also pay for netflix through smart TV which has become a joke. Constant buffering and cut outs, which didn't happen before. My daughter can no longer play high end games with her community as they just cut out and lag constantly. Her friends are having the same issues. I have been told this as good as I'll get. Been a loyal customer for 30 years it's a disgrace. I live on the Gold Coast so I'm not in the middle of nowhere.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN are they serious?

It's a common complaint about the NBN on the Gold Coast. I don't know what NBN Co had done three, but they seem to have stuffed up. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Not just on the Gold Coast. My daughters gaming community are all the  over the world some in the heart of Melbourne are in the same boat. She was telling me that Many of the not so affluent countries now have better Internet than Australia.

@Jupiter wrote:

It's a common complaint about the NBN on the Gold Coast. I don't know what NBN Co had done three, but they seem to have stuffed up. 

Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

Sorry to see you struggle with what should be a better experience. Are the speeds you mention from Wi-Fi connected devices or LAN cable connected devices? 

You may have an issue with your Telstra modem and its Wireless Radios - are your devices primarily 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz? If you disconnect the Telstra modem from the Arris 8200 NBN Modem and connect a PC with a LAN cable and do a speed test, note the result - is it near to 50 Mbps or 100 Mbps? I have read that people moving from 100 Mbps HFC to NBN, get connected at 50 Mbps initially to make sure service is stable then get migrated to 100 Mbps afterwards.

I had Telstra NBN HFC connected nearly two weeks ago, moving from 100 Mbps Cable HFC. The NBN Technician was an employee of NBN and not a contractor. I was very impressed with his work as I thought it would be a simple plug and play install given everything was already in place. He replaced all coax connectors on the service (the inner copper cable tips go black over a 10 year period)  - starting with the footpath pit, the external NBN Utility Box (PCD) including replacing the Filter/Amplifier? unit in the PCD, the coax wall outlet and then the coax cable to the Arris.

Then he got out a test special machine and did some line testing for Receive and Transmit analysis and wasn't happy with the receive level, so went out to install an additional connector which acted as an attenuator onto the incoming coax cable in the PCD, retested and was happy with the result. We then connected the Telstra Gen 2 Arcadyan LH1000 and got a 48 Mbps/19 Mbps speed test with a LAN connected PC  and iPhone 5 - I elected to downgrade my subscription to the lower speed. 

If you not getting at least under the nominal 50 Mbps on the direct connection to the Arris 8200, there may be a problem in the NBN network in your neighbourhood or the cabling infrastructure on premises. 

Highlighted

Hi Mkrtich,

I'm happy to hear that some people have had a good experience moving to the NBN. 

I have now had 2 modems because one of the techs that came out agreed the speed was inadequate and thought there may have been a fault in the modem. The same technician told me he doesn't want to switch to NBN when it gets to his area because of the problems he is encountering so that doesn't give me much hope of achieving the same standard I had before on cable. The Wi Fi was a separate issue from the cable though still an issue. We have not had 50Mbps since we switched and as I stated Telstra informed me if I wanted my 100Mbps I would have to pay an extra $30 per month for it on top , but they still won't guarantee the speed so what do you do. I wasn't home when they did the install so I'm not in a position to say what they replaced in the utility box etc. I just know the final outcome. Perhaps that is an avenue I can pursue. Thanks for the heads up  

Highlighted
Level 19: Deputy Director
Level 19: Deputy Director

Get in touch with the sales team and see if they are able to discount the Premium Evening speed for you.

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Sounds familiar, I think it was a backward step going from cable to some third rate third world set up. I reckon that I'v made 30 calls to 132200 in the last 3 weeks, constant drop outs around the 4pm, odd thing is that after each time I ring and complain, the service runs well for a couple of days then reverts to drop out city.

Can't wait for 5 G so I junk this rubbish

Highlighted

I feel you.

The amount of time spent with calls to Telstra. Waiting at home for Technicians that don't show up or bother to inform you they're not coming is just frustrating.

I honestly believe the Telco's are just wanting this to go away as it's not their fault but they have to clean up the mess. Like most people eventually you just throw your hands up and live with it

and do without because you just don't have the time to waste waiting for someone to actually do their job properly. good luck 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I have the same issue in Ballajura in Perth. After two days of testing and diagnosing my service Telstra agreed that there was a fault and said they would arrange for a NBN technician to visit next day. 15 minutes later I got a text saying I didn't need to be home (as previously advised). I was also given a link to a case update page. Lo and behold my case had been closed and marked resolved. Today I received another text informing me that my case was resolved and case closed. I have also tried contacting via the call back link I was sent and there is no response. This really is not good enough and I can't wait to give Telstra the Heave Ho once 5G is available and affordable.

Highlighted

I don't believe I should have to pay for the Premium speed when that is what I had before the switch.I always had 100mbps with the cable and everyone in the house was able to do what they needed to do, ( stream, game, download, upload.) It's a whole different beast now. I'll try asking again but have already been told it's extra $ with no guarantee of better speeds.

Highlighted

You get charged extra for the speed boost on an NBN service because that is the way NBN Co has arranged their access fees. When the HFC network was owned and operated by Telstra, they could charge how they saw fit (and hence why towards the end, you got the speed boost for free).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit