Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

NBN backhaul

Hi,

Dum Dum NSW was promised NBN backhaul of Fixed Wireless allowing slightly better than the STM-1 link feeding fast ethernet available from CMUX ADSL at UKIC.

I've been advised that NBN are now going to provide a more substandard backhaul than the connection type, STM-1, available now for those in the locality of UKIC - for their fast ethernet with Satellite from Sky Muster.

How can this happen at all, particularly without the consultation of those that have been patiently waiting for a better service while some localities go from ADSL2+  to fibre to the node and even fibre to the premises?

Dan

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN backhaul

You would need to ask NBN Co that question. They own and operate the network, not Telstra.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi Jupiter,

Since Telstra is wholesale customer for NBN,  I would have thought they might have some idea as they will be offering services based on the backhaul provided by NBN?  If they don't, they should in order to provide some sort of integrity with what they have to offer.

Highlighted

Dum Dum is service by the Skymuster NBN service. Telstra do not offer plans for Skymuster, you would need to sign up with an RSP that does.

If you wanted a service type other than Skymuster, you would need to request a service type change from NBN Co (not a cheap process - $330 per household {capped at roughly $32000} just for the quote, plus installation costs).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - I agree with you that there seems to be an element of NBN short changing some regional and rural customers with a change of previous allocation methodology, which may initially been set on optimistic grounds that were not achievable. Maybe it is a safer or correct technical decision to ensure the service meets minimum delivery standards? I picked up some press on the web few months ago and this may be applicable to your locality and other areas. It seems that in order to fulfill its obligation to the Government to finish NBN on time or having struck problems with implementing Fixed Wireless in certain areas, NBN had decided to move approximately 48,000 premises that were originally scheduled for Fixed Wireless to Satellite delivery.

I note your area is classified as Ready to Connect to NBN Satellite. I think the NBN Satellite service is nominally rated at highest offering of 25Mbps/ 5 Mbps ( maybe in unrealistic ideal circumstances more likely Off-Peak) which sort of matches the best rate ADSL2+ could ever achieve in very short distance to DSLAM/CAN cable connections? However, it delivers far less theoretical speed connectivity that a nominal 'best endeavours first-in better-served subject to traffic load' of 75Mbps/10Mbps Fixed Wireless service. I acknowledge both the quoted figures used here bear no resemblance to real world customer experiences in line with all fine print usually included in CIS summaries and the practical reality of traffic load, geography and environmental factors. We generally only get to read posts on the forum when people have problems, so its hard for anyone to know what customers are experiencing when they are happy with their Satellite or Fixed Wireless service. We are customers like you and not Telstra employees. 

Whereas NBN now own the cable network that exists in most areas of Australia, they do not own the cable network, telephone exchanges, DSLAMs and CAN equipment within areas that are covered by Fixed Wireless or Satellite in those areas. Telstra will also retain ownership of lines for certain corporate and government customers. For residential customers, there is no obligation to migrate to NBN.  Telstra will continue to be responsible for the ADSL and telephone services in those areas, until government policy changes. People can retain their telephone lines and ADSL/ADSL2+ services in parallel to having a NBN service provisioned as a safety net or permanent arrangement if it suits them - I would think most people in these areas with keep their ADSL service for reliability reasons and backup. 

It may be terminology name issue I am not familiar with, when you say 'backhaul' do you mean the link from your home to the Internet service , in your case Satellite, rather than its traditional use in carrier networks e.g. Telstra or other carrier exchange based equipment being connected to fibre optic links back bone networks or NBN Fixed Wireless Cell Tower with fibre optic or Microwave Links backhaul links? As a matter of interest, what does UKIC mean? I wasn't sure if it was related to any possible upgrade activities that may apply for ADSL to ADSL2+ customers in rural areas.  

Highlighted

You've missed the point completely Jupiter

Highlighted

Very comprehensive reply Mkrtich.

Which in essence is telling us there will never be any upgrade to a level playing field, no matter which choice one makes in the aforementioned locality.

Backhaul being the main link from the distribution interface, ISAM, CMUX, AM35, wireless node  etc into the backbone network.

Can I get a refund for my fee for no service?

Highlighted

I just hope then, Telstra can get a Top Hat out there to Braeside to appease those loyal internet customers who are likely to stay with them considering the NBN options.

Highlighted

UKIC is a DSLAM (CMUX) cabinet with Synchronous Digital Hierarchy STM-1 backhaul feeding the surrounding household lead-in cable with their POTS/Internet services in the Dum Dum locality.

Highlighted

Thanks for clarifying what UKIC means and we are on the same page in regards to what backhaul means then. When you mentioned the original plans of using NBN Fixed Wireless Backhaul, I didn't link that statement to ADSL/ADSL2+ customers possibly sharing the backhaul fibre optic or dedicated microwave wireless links that NBN Fixed Wireless or other NBN Service customers would use. Given ownership and utilization requirements for both networks, in the current climate, it is difficult to see how that would be resolved in the future without a change of ownership or a quid-pro-quo arrangement. I don't know if NBN has its own backhaul links or pays Telstra a carriage service fee for same.  

You may be conversant with the content of these articles, but in case of interest, I found them yesterday - they provide an insight into the complexity of the challenges at play. Although the Telstra document is dated 2102 and was reasonably redacted by the ACCC, it provides a good overview about ADSL and ADLS2+ delivery mechanisms used by Telstra (Section 30 onwards) and the 2017 ADSL Availability Report depicts the scope of deployment considerations around Australia. 

https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Telstra%20WDSL%20Statement%20%20August%202012.pdf

https://accan.org.au/files/Broadband/ADSL%20Availability%20Report.pdf

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit