Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

nbn broadband to 4g dongle

Hello,

We have sold our house which has an NBN broadband connection still under contract. We will be travelling in our caravan for about 5 months while another house is built. I have an old style 4g dongle. Is it possible to convert our current plan onto that dongle. If not can I suspend the service and still have our e mail etc. Not sure how this works just looking at options. The dongle naturally would be the best option. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 19: Deputy Director

Re: nbn broadband to 4g dongle

A simple solution would be to get a sim attached to your current service and insert that into your dongle.
Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so. "button"
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

You can not convert current NBN plan to old dongle. You could purchase an prepaid Mobile broadband starter kit and insert the SIM in the old dongle. This will also entitle you free access to Telstra Air hotspots. The data used on a Telstra Air hotspot is free.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

You can "sort of" put your NBN service on hold. It will still cost (costs will be dependent on your current contract), but you can keep the account active and put the service itself into limbo (for a fee).

You can't transfer the service to a mobile dongle, but you could get a prepaid mobile broadband SIM to use in your dongle and just top it up as required.

I would be recommending that you give the Disconnections Team in Adelaide a call via the 132200 number and discuss your options with them. They are best placed to answer your questions and provide you with any costs associated with them.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi just to clarify if you have a smart modem that has a 4g backup modem stick you can take the sim out and put it in your mobile 4g dongle im doing it right now and its using my main account.

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so. "button"
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

The Sim card used for the 4G backup in the Smart modem is for outages and faults only and should not be removed from the Smart modem and used in another device. Using it otherwise is breach of the fair usage terms and the sim card will be shaped or disabled. I strongly recommend not doing that.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

My main line is broken i have no choice so im using it as backup.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

What you are suggesting is called a fraud. @slipperyeel, ignore it please ignore any advice given by this individual.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted

Under the terms of service, the SIM provided within the Smart Modem is for use in the Smart Modem only and the removal to use it in another device is a breach of the terms and conditions. Also, prolonged use of the backup service will result in it being shaped back to 256kps, from the maximum 6/1Mbps that it normally provides.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

please provide this is writing from telstra.

Highlighted

What you are proposing that the OP do (and what you are doing by removing the SIM from the Smart Modem and using in another device), is a breach of the Terms & Conditions (specifically section 4.1).
https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/consumer-advice/pdf-c/bundles-telstra-gateway-f...

Highlighted

You can find it here https://www.telstra.com.au/customer-terms/home-family#home-broadband - Part E Telstra Smart Modem
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

For got to mention in my previous post that you can keep your email address for 12 months after disconnecting NBN service. There is a fee to keep the email address for over 12 months. If disconnecting and wish to keep email address make sure you mention this when arranging disconnection as email address is normally automatically deleted when you disconnect.

There are plenty off free email services such as Outlook.com (Formaly Hotmail), Yahoo Mail and Gmail if you want to set up a free email address. If you have an android phone you will probably already have a Gmail email address.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Many thanks for your good advice.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit