Nebo2505
Level 2: Rookie

NBN broadband

Answered

Hi All

I have a question that I cannot find a complete answer for. Telstra site is not very clear on answers.

I am an out of contract client (2 years out) on an unlimited plan, recently updated by Telstra as old plan no longer exists. I will be doing the big lap around Aussie starting next March and will be away approx 6 months.

Can I park my NBN for 6 months, No I am told. So what do I do? Cancel and come on as a new customer after 6 months, saving $500 plus but what happens to our bigpond email addresses. Do we lose them? We will still have a Telstra account as we have 2 mobiles on prepaid. Also what will happen to Telstra TV as it is included now at the old plan cost  and will cost more with a new plan.

I am not sure what the best option is and would appreciate any suggestions

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nebo2505
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN broadband

Hi cf4

Greatly appreciate yours and other feedback. I can now make an informed decision. Will probably park NBN for time away and signup when we get back. 

Have a good new year. Cheers off to the party now

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Thinking off the top of my head, with beer fumes present ( it is NYE after all).... 

Sounds like a good case for adding a mobile broadband device and plan to your existing account Smiley Happy

Will you still have a residential address for billing (bills by email of course)...

Take the Telstra TV with you and connect any time you have service, keep the the email addresses and still have internet wherever you go..  cancel the nbn service for now or put it on the lowest possible plan, but DO NOT cancel the account, with the mobile broadband and any mobile services on it..  the plan for the mobile broadband might be the hardest to work out - depends what you watch I guess - news on a device, movies on the TTV..

Sounds like a great 6 months ahead for you..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

You can keep your email address for a period of 12 months from when you cancel your internet connection. Make sure to mention that you wish to keep email address when canceling as email address is normally deleted when internet connection is canceled.

You can continue using Telstra TV you only need an account to activate Telstra TV. You will be able to use Trlstra TV with any internet connection.

Suggest you cancel but make sure email address is canceled and come back on a plan that does not include Telstra TV. You will still be able to use the Telstra TV box but there will be no free bigpond media content.

Nebo2505

Hi Steve 52

Thx for the advice. Was not thinking of mobile broadband as 2 phones have over 300gig of data and not planning on internet connection as we have Sat TV in van. Just do not want to lose email and bigpond addresses as we get them via the phones also

Nebo2505

Hi CF4

Thx for your thoughts. Did not know about keeping email addresses could be kept. Can email still be accessed using phone or not. If so, can leave all current and not have to do email address changes. Not worried to much about Telstra TV as we have Sat TV in van. Good solution if we can still get emails via bigpond

cf4

Email can still be accessed by using any internet connections including the phones data connection either via a web browser or an email app.

Telstra - Can I keep my email address if I close my account? - Support

Nebo2505
Accepted Solution

Hi cf4

Greatly appreciate yours and other feedback. I can now make an informed decision. Will probably park NBN for time away and signup when we get back. 

Have a good new year. Cheers off to the party now

View solution in original post

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

It would be wise to transition to gmail which is free, much more reliable and not ISP dependent. Happy new year 

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Nebo2505

Hi Professor

Your reply was helpful but not the solution I will use. I already have gmail for 10 years plus but do not want to lose my bigpond ones as they are special use ones. Thx for your input

SteveW_52

Telstra seem to be in the process of exiting the email business - you no longer get an email account when signing up for a service and also seem to be favouring external, 3rd party, email addresses for account matters over their own internal email service. They have had many problems in recent times with their own email service, as you are most probably aware..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Nebo2505

Hi Steve 52

Was not aware of this but will keep that in mind and check when the time comes to make a decision. Maybe COVID19 and border closures will stop the big lap for another year like it did in 2020, but I am still planning.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit