Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN Cable - which ones goes to the house socket

Hi

I have a new house build.

The NBN guy came out and connected the NBN Box and connected it via cable to the wall socket in the house. I then connected the modem to the wall socket in the study.  I thought everything was fine until i realised the modem was operating on mobile back up.  When I take the modem out of the study and connect directly to the NBN box it works fine and connects to the NBN.

My question is should the technician have used a yellow cable (both ends) to connect the NBN box to the house socket or should it have been Yellow one end and red the other.

As the NBN box and modem works when i plug in to each other directly (not via the wall socket) Telstra tell me its my problem.  However I would like an answer to the above before before I get the electrician back out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN Cable - which ones goes to the house socket

If the Telstra modem works ok when connected directly to NBN modem using either the yellow cable or the red cable it should work using those two cables to connect telstra modem to the NBN modem. I suspect the wall cable has been wired incorrectly. The two cables have different coloured ends to make it easier for people to know which sockets to plug them into, but they are normaly electrically identical.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN Cable - which ones goes to the house socket

The cables are the same. They are just coloured differently to make installation instructions easier to follow.

It definitely sounds like a house wiring problem given your description.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit