Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

NBN change from coxial to phone line

Answered

NBN connection kit (NBN box and Telstra smart modem) just delivered.

I currently have my Tesltra account with coaxial feed to a Telstra modem for high speed internet. It's working well.

I expected an NBN box with the same compatible coaxial connector.

We have maintained our separate phone line on a Telstra bundle.

If I now connect NBN box to the phone outlet will the automatic changeover of account connection from coaxial service to the phone line service take place as quickly as suggested, or will this be delayed longer - or maybe I should have been given a coxial NBN box?

Seeking some reassuarnce as I can't afford to be left without connection for too if this is going to muck up the system in some way.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN change from coxial to phone line

Thank you Jupiter and Steve_W. All up and running including multi-divice home network. My worst fears and past bad NBN reports from colleagues did not eventuate.

I found Telstra's offering and setup straightforward. But speed has dropped about 20% from previous coaxial connection.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Check to see what type of NBN connection you are supposed to be getting by typing your address into the box at https://nbnco.com.au I suspect it will say FTTC.

If it is, set it up as per the instructions and you will be switched over on the day of your booking.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

If that NBN connection search comes up with HFC though, then you may have the wrong NBN box unfortunately. They may have been confused by the split services being delivered to your address.

What is the make and model of the NBN NTD?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Thank you Jupiter. The address check shows FTTC so I will proceed with installation.

Highlighted

Just so you are aware, that NBN service search is not always correct..  if I try my address it shows as FTTN Smiley Happy, which makes me smile because I have been on NBN HFC for nearly 2 years..  mistakes happen..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Thank you Jupiter and Steve_W. All up and running including multi-divice home network. My worst fears and past bad NBN reports from colleagues did not eventuate.

I found Telstra's offering and setup straightforward. But speed has dropped about 20% from previous coaxial connection.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Only 20%??  You can order a SpeedBoost at extra cost to give you more speed.

Stevo 52
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

@ausbunny 

22% reduction in speed is not normal. When going from Telstra cable to NBN FTTC there is normally a 50% reduction in speed. What is your actual speed? Is the light on front of modem green?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit