Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN co says we need an electrician to complete our connection

Answered

We recently built a 'NBN ready' house. It is FTTN. The electrician has put a plug in the linen cupboard (refer photo) and then has wiring inside the garage (refer photo), the latter of which goes to a grey box attached outside.

The NBN person said we are now live (and I confirm we can see internet signal, but not access data) but that the loose end cables need to be connected to the sealed cables by an electrician and then covered. There is no internal NBN box - Telstra confirmed the box outside house simply has to be connected to copper network inside.

We suspect electrician has left wiring out for fibre to the premises, which requires internal box, power and modem in garage - despite the fact that we assume he has wired everything to the linen cupboard modem point.

Can anyone please help? This saga has been going for 2 months - the first NBN technician turned up 4 hours past the 4 hour window (!) and realised they could not do the infrastructure work. Meanwhile , Telstra continues to charge me for the service (albeit have already refunded month 1).

THANK YOU!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN co says we need an electrician to complete our connectionand clearly labled the

In the first photo is the cable with the blue and white twisted pair the incoming cable provided by NBN Co Technician and the other two cables internal wiring provided by electrician?

The easiest solution would be to get the original electrician to return and connect the incoming cable blue white pair to the NBN socket in the Linen cupboard. This could be done  any qualified electrician. This is internal wiring and is responsibility of house holder a NBN Co Tech or Telstra Technician could have done this but can charge you for the work. Perhaps they didn't do it because they didn't have a suitable wall plate for garage. The wall plate should have been left by original electrician and clearly labelled the two cables, then it would have been a five minute job for NBN Co Technician.

The Telstra Gateway DSL port would plug into the NBN socket in the linen cupboard. The hone ports on gateway would plug in to phone port in linen cupboard to distribute the phone to other rooms. The LAN ports on Gateway would connect to the data ports in Linen cupboard to provide data in other rooms.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN co says we need an electrician to complete our connectionand clearly labled the

In the first photo is the cable with the blue and white twisted pair the incoming cable provided by NBN Co Technician and the other two cables internal wiring provided by electrician?

The easiest solution would be to get the original electrician to return and connect the incoming cable blue white pair to the NBN socket in the Linen cupboard. This could be done  any qualified electrician. This is internal wiring and is responsibility of house holder a NBN Co Tech or Telstra Technician could have done this but can charge you for the work. Perhaps they didn't do it because they didn't have a suitable wall plate for garage. The wall plate should have been left by original electrician and clearly labelled the two cables, then it would have been a five minute job for NBN Co Technician.

The Telstra Gateway DSL port would plug into the NBN socket in the linen cupboard. The hone ports on gateway would plug in to phone port in linen cupboard to distribute the phone to other rooms. The LAN ports on Gateway would connect to the data ports in Linen cupboard to provide data in other rooms.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Thanks cf4 'superhuman',
The electrician has now been back and connect the wires. The house is FTTN.
Now the gateway box link light is switching between blue and white and off.
The gateway connection kit came from my previous FTTP property, but Telstra said it would be compatible. It is a white box model F@ST5355. The box actually says suitable for FTTP or Fixed Wireless. Could this be the problem? Very frustrating ! Thanks again,

Highlighted

They come in different boxes but the FTTP/Fixed Wireless box, FTTN box, and HFC box are different because the inclusions in the box are different for the specific connection type from my understanding but the actual modem itself is the same.

But if tech support believes it is the modem they should be able to arrange a replacement for you to be sent out.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit