KatieBrown
Level 11: Detective

NBN connection from cable connection and ADSL connection

Answered

Hi there, I have to look into connecting two properties to NBN.

My contract with Cable internet rang out last November. I have a Gen 1 modem which is about 27 months old. I would want a new Gen 2 modem plus the wifi boosters which do not need to be wired like the old boosters with the Gen 1. I have been told at the Telstra shop I would get a free Gen 2 modem, is this correct?

As for the other property, he has ADSL and an old modem which is dying. He should be entitled to a new modem at least. Also he has Foxtel with a setup box, I have been told that this will remain the same at the Telstra shop and only have to concern myself with the new modem and NBN. Is this correct.

Also if I want to actually have my modem elsewhere, I would need to hire an electrician to put in a new telephone wire and the applicable power outlets. Otherwise, all I have to do is plug the NBN modem into the one of my existing outlets and it should all work without the necessity of rewiring. Is this correct?

Any advice would be welcome. I have time as disconnection date isn't until the end of the year and the NBN being offered is FTTC. Also at the moment I have a hi speed internet connection which obviously is going to be halved with I go with NBN and costs more.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN connection from cable connection and ADSL connection

You may not be given a free Gen 2 modem as you have a modem that is NBN compatible. Likewise with the ADSL property, Telstra do not give out new modems for free just because the old one is dying. The worst case scenario would be getting charged $9 per month for 2 years for a Gen 2 modem. But, it won't hurt to ask in either case.

For the outlets, yes, an electrician can do that work. You could also use your existing phone sockets. Just make sure that you have room for the Telstra Modem and the NBN NTD (which powers the equipment in the street). It would pay to get other phone outlets disconnected to remove any potential interference.

The final bit of advice is to organise the migration at least 3 months before the cutoff date as there will be a rush of last minute orders and you could be cut off before the migration occurs.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

You may not be given a free Gen 2 modem as you have a modem that is NBN compatible. Likewise with the ADSL property, Telstra do not give out new modems for free just because the old one is dying. The worst case scenario would be getting charged $9 per month for 2 years for a Gen 2 modem. But, it won't hurt to ask in either case.

For the outlets, yes, an electrician can do that work. You could also use your existing phone sockets. Just make sure that you have room for the Telstra Modem and the NBN NTD (which powers the equipment in the street). It would pay to get other phone outlets disconnected to remove any potential interference.

The final bit of advice is to organise the migration at least 3 months before the cutoff date as there will be a rush of last minute orders and you could be cut off before the migration occurs.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

KatieBrown
Level 11: Detective

Hi there, I was advised at the Telstra Shop that I would get a free modem as well as my neighbour. His modem is not compatible that's why I asked.

I am intending to organise this in the next month or two. Cut off is January 2022.

So why would the person in the Telstra Shop tell me I am entitled to a free modem (and I did tell him it was the Gen1) and he responded yes? The Gen 1 is not that great as it is sort of bulky and the Gen 2 is better and more compact and will go with the new wifi extenders that they advertise.

Thank you for your input.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit