Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN Connection issues

Hello

I am trying to get an NBN connection for my new house. The house is about 2km from the nearest Telstra landline. According to the NBN rollout map fixed wireless is available on parts of the property but the address has not been added to their database. I contacted NBNCo and they said to contact a service provider to initiate the process of adding my address to the database. I did that a couple of weeks ago and I thought I would check on the status last night with Telstra. The chat lady said the order had been cancelled. I said yes that is correct as Telstra tried to tell me that an ADSL connection was possible until I pointed out the 2km distance but the order with NBNCo should still be active. She then tried to tell me that Telstra do not sell NBN without a copper connection as they need the copper for a landline.

"Since ADSL cannot be provided in the area it could be the reason why NBN has not been rolled out since they would normally use the same existing copper lines for the technology."

I then pointed out that the NBN connection would be Fixed Wireless and her response was;

"

Fixed Wireless would still use copper for the landline. Is there an existing lead in?If we apply NBN with Telstra- a phone line is provided too since Telstra does not have a stand alone internet.
Thats regardless of the technology type"
I then asked if I should try another provider and her response was;
"I am not saying that. If Telstra cannot provide ADSL most likely other network wont be able to do so."

I gave up at this stage but is any of what she said correct? What is the point of fixed wireless if you still need a copper connection? Is she confusing ADSL with NBN?

Regards

Phil

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: NBN Connection issues

You won't get a copper landline unless you had an existing one. Everything will be over the fixed wireless connection. You need to ask them to submit then NBN Address Feedback form to get your address added to NBN's system.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

As far as I knew that is what was done the NBN address feedback. 
but why is the Telstra chat op now saying I need a lanfline?

Highlighted

It appears that the person you chatted with was wrong

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

Tonight I asked a different operator if the NBN Address Feedback form had been submitted and was told that it had. It really helps if you know the correct terminology. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for NBNCo to investigate?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit