Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

NBN Connection not working but will when direct to my laptop

I'm ready to change internet providers from Telstra to someone local- so before I do- perhaps you can help as Telstra is not helping.

I just got a NBN box installed in my new house mid December.

Went to connect the modem and the WAN light was not green therefore- no internet. This modem a TG799 is suppose to be compatible....

So telstra asked me to connect the WAN cord straight into my laptop- voila- I have the internet! So they said my modem must not be compatible.

They send me a new one $169 later and also have gone over my internet date so much as I use it for my business.

Brand new modem arrives. A white one that stands up. 

Again connect it- and no interent from modem. No- WAN light not lit up nor is the the UNI-d1 on my NBN box.....

But- I get internet when run the run cord direct to my laptop!!!!!!?????

So- I get another new modem sent to me- havent got my bill yet- wonder how much that one is going to cost me.... its a bigger and better one too....

But guess what- no WAN light- NO unid1 light- therefore no internet... Oh but wait- internet works when I run WAN cable to laptop....

The telstra techncian said last thing i can do is get a homephone and see if that works. Will hopefully get one tomorrow. 

NBN said they cant do anything as the internet works on my laptop.

Anyone else have this problem? This has cost me so much money and stopped my flow of my business.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN Connection not working but will when direct to my laptop

I don't know why they provide a modem for FTTP conenctions when all you need is a wireless router.

It is odd that the UNI-D1 drops when you plug in the modem. You are definitely plugging the UNI-D1 port into the WAN port of the modem?

Also, you haven't entered any user id or password into the modem (it doesn't need it)?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Sorry I am not sure what you mean by FTTP connections...

I definitely have the cables plugged in properly. This morning I tried my TG799 modem again and it didn't something new- the WAN light continually flashed green however did not go to a stable green light. But definitely no flash from UNID1 light.

Why would I recall years ago entering a password onto my laptop with my TG799. Or maybe it was even way before that... but definitely no- no passwords entered for these new ones
Highlighted
Level 13: Super Sleuth

FTTP is a fibre to the home connection and doesn't require anything more than a router.  Telstra's TG799 is a modem router, and in the case of FTTP (which you have because you're mentioning the UNID-1 port on your NBNco NTD box), you plug the ethernet cable from the NTD into WAN on the router, then your computer plugs into one of the LAN (Ethernet) ports or uses wifi.

If your laptop plugged into UNID-1 gets internet straight away then it means the TG799 is setup to use PPP not IPoE or WAN.
You will need to log into the TG799's web interface and change this setting - usually under "internet settings" or "gateway".

I need IDDQD and IDKFA in real life.
Highlighted

Ok... it's making a lot more sense now. Thanks! But I'm having trouble finding the tg799 settings. Is this on my laptop or is it on a website somewhere?
Highlighted

When your laptop is connected to the TG799 (via wifi or ethernet) and it is connected to the UNID-1 port, open a web browser and go to http://10.0.0.138
The default login is usually admin/admin or admin/telstra or admin/password.
Highlighted

Ok. I have found it. I went into broadband and the connection settings does say IPOE. The connection info and it's status says disconnected and everything says 0.0.0.0 etc. I went into advanced settings and it says DSL disconnected, Ethernet disconnected far out this is too much. Shouldn't Telstra be helping me set this up properly or do I need a local computer company to come over
Highlighted

Any chance you can send us a screenshot of the pages to do with "broadband" in both basic and advanced settings?  
I haven't got a TG799 to work with so I'm flying blind here.

What we're looking for is a check box that or setting that stops it using DSL and tells it to use WAN...
Maybe it's an auto-detect setting on this modem and can't be done.  Screenshots will help best.

Highlighted

Yes, I can. Is there anything I need to cover for security reasons?
Highlighted

Maybe just your WAN IP address, but you probably won't see that yet considering it's not working unless your laptop is connected to the UNID-1 port directly.

Highlighted

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 8.40.29 am.png

Highlighted

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 8.44.39 am.png

Highlighted

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 8.47.15 am.png

Highlighted

remove your PPP login details from the config entirely - you shouldn't need those.  Do a modem restart afterward.
What does clicking the "disconnect" button on WAN status acheive?

I pm'd you yesterday afternoon... check these in your profile page.  Feel free to reply or get in touch if you need more responsive assistance.

Highlighted

It won't let me take out ppp login details. It says it can't be empty. Disconnect button does nothing... I also run a phone line from my modem and no dial time. I can't even get into gateway now. It's asking me for a user name and password. No default password works like the ones you wrote the other day... my bigpond username and password doesn't work now. So over this
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Melissayling83

Apologies for the delay in responding. If the matter has not been resolved, please call our NBN Assurance team on 1800 834 273 and say 'Fault' when prompted.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

This are the following things youv'e mentioned.

1. Internet does not work if the cable from the UNI-D1 port is inserted at the WAN (red) port of the modem. 

2. You already did an isolation test by inserting the UNI-D1 cable directly at the ethernet port of the laptop and it displayed on your device that there is a solid internet connection.

3. Your modem has been replace multiple times and yet the issue has not been resolved.

Now, let me ask you the following questions.

1. Have you tried reseting your modem to default settings by inserting a pin at the reset hole of the modem for 15 seconds straight and waiting for all of the lights do disappear and one light to reappear and wait for 5 min for the configuration to be completed?

2. have you tried using a diff UNI-D1 cable? just in case the cable is faulty itself?

3. WAN is an indicator that you have a laptop connected to the modem via ethernet cable (cable inserted at the yellow port of the modem and the other end is inserted at the ethernet of the laptop)

4. wHAT ABOUT THE status light? are the green?

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Have this exact same issue
Got a tech coming out tomorrow Smiley Sad
Highlighted

I am having the same issue. The day the connection was switched over to the NBN (9 days ago) the internet has not worked. Tried two Telstra gateway max 2 modems and neither work. No uni d light. But I have internet when the NBN connection box is connected directly to the pc. Telstra tech came out and was no help. I've contacted Telstra 4 times now via phone and keep getting the run around that the nbn needs to do tests (again they've been contacted 3 times now and say it's not their probalem). It's been 9 days! I'm about ready to cancel my contract. So much for a cost free change over to a better network. 😠
Highlighted

Was your issue resolved? If so, what needed to be done?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit