Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Nbn connection

Hello,

Wall of text sorry Smiley Happy

I've been trying to get hold of Telstra in regards to the following issue to no avail, I did get through to someone this morning but about 4 minutes into the call (while I was on hold to check with the connection team) I got interrupted by the automated message about covid19 and hung up on.

Anyway, I put through an order on March 3 to switch over to nbn, the hardware was due to turn up last week but with the current situation that was delayed (connection date supposedly the 19th). I received the hardware on Monday the 23rd after thinking I wasn't receiving it, so I decided to get it all set up. Followed the instructions perfectly and waited a couple of days to ensure Telstra had time to switch us over. It's now been 7 days since our apparent "completion date" and my order tracking status has moved from having a definitive completion date to "unknown" and still displaying as "in progress". The nbn box still does not display a solid blue light (or any light) for the DSL connection. Both the power light and the light just to the left of that one are solid blue.

Is there any way for me to manually force the switch over or is it a matter of just wait out the covid19 situation/keep trying to contact them?

Or am I better off plugging my old ADSL2 modem back in and running with that until something happens? As a side note, my current internet plan still shows my connection as being ADSL2 or is that going to cause more delays in the switch over?

Also, the Smart 2 modem that came on Monday has a 4g backup option that was working (albeit at pathetic speeds) up until the time that I've posted this, the "mobile backup" light on the modem is green but refuses to load anything in any device whether it's wireless or wired.

Thanks to anyone who manages to get through all that and can shed some light.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Nbn connection

I am in the same situation. Did you have any luck?

Highlighted

Sent through a request online via the Telstra app, was told they would look into it, no response since then. Might be worth waiting until things are back to normal for their staff numbers

Highlighted

Thank you. Will just continue using my adsl connection for now.

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Hi @Doctorgonapus 

I believe if you are using the new modem while still on ADSL then you need to set the PPPoE Settings (Username/Password). When on the NBN those details are not needed.

To confirm, plug your old ADSL modem in (Assuming it still has your login details stored in the modem ) and see if you have access again.

Of course, you could try adding in your details in the new modem as well (Save/Reboot required)

Telstra is looking into the 3G/4G modem backup option. As currently if you are connected for too long your speed is reduced dramatically and requires you to call Telstra to lodge a webform so the speed can be restored, but constantly requires that to be done when your speed drops again.

Which basically makes this whole backup option a bit of a furphy atm.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit