Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN Crossed Lines

Answered

Hi I am writing this for my parents who are both over 80 and live in Canberra. A month ago I went up there and helped them get a Telstra NBN connection. All was working fine until Tue when neighbour had his connected (they live in a group of villas). So no phone and no internet. They don't have a mobile so when contacting support it has a case of me ring up and then relaying the usual checks via a neighbour. Painful process but after an hour they said they would sent tech around. Tech came around on Thu and confirmed the fault and said they needed to contact NBN. So I did and as far as they were concerned there was no issue. So on Fri my mum went into Telstra who let her use a phone and after 40min agreed there was a issue and would escalate it.

Then later in the day I rang their number and I was surprised it rang. Only issue was that I the wrong person. After rechecking numbers and ringing this poor person 4 times I found out that I was actually speaking to my parent's neighbour. A bit of laughter ensued. So I rang Telstra to let them know of my findings as I thought it would assist them fixing the fault. Was on the phone for 30min as they went through the standard procedure of wanting me to check this and that while I was trying to explain I could not go around and help check (they had no idea Melbourne was so far from Canberra). They also said they had no records of the tech visit as it is managed separately.

Anyway we are all very frustrated and tired and have no idea when it is going to be fixed. My mum is getting very stressed as her husband is still recovering from a broken leg 4 weeks ago and is also trying to get open heart surgery organised. Without a phone it makes this difficult.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN Crossed Lines

The NBN tech who has connected up your neighbour has stuffed up and connected the wiring that is you parents' connection to their neighbour.

Assuming the Telstra call centre staff have done their job and put in a works order to get NBN Co to send out a technician to fix the problem (Telstra can't legally touch the cable anymore), then it should happen reasonably soon.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The NBN tech who has connected up your neighbour has stuffed up and connected the wiring that is you parents' connection to their neighbour.

Assuming the Telstra call centre staff have done their job and put in a works order to get NBN Co to send out a technician to fix the problem (Telstra can't legally touch the cable anymore), then it should happen reasonably soon.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Yep Telstra tech came around for the 2nd time yesterday and confirmed it was NBNs problem and they would have to come around to fix. Pretty obvious to me what the fault was but still not fixed after a week, this reeks of different groups not talking to each other and nobody taking overall responsibility. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit