Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

NBN disconnected. Running in 4G backup mode

Our NBN connection has been disconnected for two weeks. It was previously running without issue for over a year. We had a Gen 1 Gateway modem that suddenly switched over to 4G backup mode 2 weeks ago during scheduled NBN maintenance in the area (coincidence?). The magenta LED became illuminated and network status check verified 4G backup mode was active, I also received an SMS from Telstra confirming this. The 4G connection speed has been terrible and not comparable to the previous NBN speed we had. I raised a technical support ticket however was advised that the NBN connection to the premise was checked and running without issue. Tech support team were convinced that it must be an issue with my old Gen 1 Gateway modem (which was previously fine) and that I should sit tight and wait a week for a new Smart Modem to be sent out to resolve the issue. Well, the new Smart Modem arrived today, I installed it and guess what? It diverted immediately to 4G backup mode with blue LED illuminated at the front. I then tried connecting to all other DSL ports in my home with the same result and also restarted multiple times. I have gone through online troubleshooting again and again, to no avail. Please fix the NBN connection to my premises.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

Re: NBN disconnected. Running in 4G backup mode

During the  maintenance it look like the pairs have been mixed up or returned to there old colour matches which has changed who is getting what service, which is why test could show that there is an internet connection ! Ring again to lodge a fault tell them whats happened and ask them for the mac address to be confermed, it should be different to the one on your modem , then they should send a tech out to trace the fault and reconnect you to your service.

This happens from time to time and is in most cases very easy to fix.

FTTN Tech. Appinions are my own.
Highlighted

Same applies to me, I’ve been on 4G back up for 2 months and counting... it’s so slow and lags, it takes minutes to upload a web browser I’ve been using my own mobile data for all internet usage. My NBN hasn’t even been transitioned or connected going onto 3 months. I should’ve just stayed on ADSL, I had no problems! But TELSTRA sent me msgs saying they’d disconnect my internet service if I didn’t... now I’m with no internet at all.😡

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Jay,

If it is some comfort, Telstra has this week begun to roll out an upgrade to the 4G back up speed.

It will be increasing form 6 down/ 1 up to 25 down/ 2 up. Mine has got the upgrade.

I would power off, wait a few minutes  and power back on your Smart Modem.

I hope your modem is upgraded soon. You may have to keep doing this to know it's got it.

Use the Telstra speed check to confirm your new speed. http://speedtest.telstra.com/

Highlighted

Hi guesthere,

thank you for that, I wasn’t aware. For me it’s still super slow, especially cause my laye brother who was murdered overseas, his killers hearing is coming up and my elderly father and I, aren’t able to travel overseas to support on my late brothers behalf, due to COVID. I was really hoping to connect to the internet so that we were able to partake in the hearing via video conference call as their connection is only connected to wifi, and so I could connect to the hearing via our TV, as my fathers vision is not good and his hearing. We wanted to partake but now we are not sure if we’ll ever see the end of this. Thank you again appreciate your help. e 

Highlighted

As in the 4G back up (before you advised me of the changes) it was super slow. Will Def try this though see if this changes anything. Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Hi Blayne,

I am assuming that you have FTTN (fibre to the node) as you mentioned DSL.

You said " I then tried connecting to all other DSL ports in my home with the same result ".

With these telephone copper services as in FTTN, FTTC, FTTB the service works more reliably if the copper line (as in the old Telstra landline telephone line) after coming into the house only connects to the one outlet now. The smart modem should connect here.

Houses which had multiple phone outlets jumping the cable from outlet to outlet can and do cause dropouts with FTTN types, and need a licenced Cabler to disconnect the extra outlet points for maximum reliability and faster speeds. That extra cable picks up electrical noise.

Highlighted

Thanks for the advice and yes it is FTTN, however the splitter was installed by Telstra technician in early 2019 and has been running fine for over a year on NBN until this issue arose. I believe it is related to the MAC address being mixed up after the maintenance as suggested above. I have mentioned this to the Tech Support members and they confirmed that the AMC address do not match, however they keep telling me that they cannot rectify themselves? Then who can? God? It has been 3 weeks now and I've discovered the 4G backup is throttled at 30Gb. I am paying for an unlimited serviceso throttling is not acceptable

@Guesthere wrote:

Hi Blayne,

I am assuming that you have FTTN (fibre to the node) as you mentioned DSL.

You said " I then tried connecting to all other DSL ports in my home with the same result ".

With these telephone copper services as in FTTN, FTTC, FTTB the service works more reliably if the copper line (as in the old Telstra landline telephone line) after coming into the house only connects to the one outlet now. The smart modem should connect here.

Houses which had multiple phone outlets jumping the cable from outlet to outlet can and do cause dropouts with FTTN types, and need a licenced Cabler to disconnect the extra outlet points for maximum reliability and faster speeds. That extra cable picks up electrical noise.

Highlighted

@Guesthere wrote:

Jay,

If it is some comfort, Telstra has this week begun to roll out an upgrade to the 4G back up speed.

It will be increasing form 6 down/ 1 up to 25 down/ 2 up. Mine has got the upgrade.

I would power off, wait a few minutes  and power back on your Smart Modem.

I hope your modem is upgraded soon. You may have to keep doing this to know it's got it.

Use the Telstra speed check to confirm your new speed. http://speedtest.telstra.com/

The 4G backup is throttled after 30Gb though, I reached this on the weekend and had to call and complain. They allowed me more data (unthrottled) however this is unacceptable considering I'm paying for a premium NBN unlimited service.

Highlighted

@chrodo wrote:

During the  maintenance it look like the pairs have been mixed up or returned to there old colour matches which has changed who is getting what service, which is why test could show that there is an internet connection ! Ring again to lodge a fault tell them whats happened and ask them for the mac address to be confermed, it should be different to the one on your modem , then they should send a tech out to trace the fault and reconnect you to your service.

This happens from time to time and is in most cases very easy to fix.

Yes, I believe it is related to the MAC address being mixed up after the maintenance as you suggested. I have mentioned this to the Tech Support members and they confirmed that the MAC addresses do not match, however they keep telling me that they cannot rectify themselves? Then who can? God? It has been 3 weeks now and I've discovered the 4G backup is throttled at 30Gb. I am paying for an unlimited serviceso throttling is not acceptable

Highlighted

Hi Blayne,

Looks like that maintenance was more like a new/another Customer has now has your line from the FTTN Node box to their house. This will need Telstra to tell and convince the NBN to send out a Field Tech to check the connections are correct.

That's the only reason a Help Centre can read a MAC address of a modem.

If the line was open (not connected to anything), they would see nothing.

Your original modem and the replacement one when the connections are correct talk back and forth for up to 10 minutes, and automatically register the MAC address.

How about using Telstra's Facebook page to make a formal complaint ?

I have seen people have had a private conversation (PM) dialog which has bypassed the Indian Call Centre (hard to contact with COVID) and has worked out quickly with locals here.

Seem's like they work FAST to clear up non resolved problems on a very Public page.

Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

They will need to send a tech out to your home ! It can not be fixed remotly .

A tech will put a tone on your line and trace the wires in the network back to the piller and reconnect  your service back to your home.

FTTN connections run on the old copper network till they get to the piller and form the piller they then go on copper to the fiber node, so out in the network your service will be on two copper wirers that run in a bigger bundle of wires called a distrabution cable , every so often there will be a joint were all those wires connect , so during the matinance that happened one of these could have been replaced and your 2 wires coneced to another customers 2 wires .

This is what needs to be fixed, and only a tech can come out and do that !

FTTN Tech. Appinions are my own.
Highlighted

Ok so why have they not sent out a tech to perform this repair? Telstra have already tried more than once to book a technician and NBN reply almost immenditely and cancel the appointment. How can I request for a tech to be sent out other than through remote tech support or on the messaging app? After 3 weeks of frustration they advise me the issue has been resolved. No it has not, this is such an insult as a loyal customer of more than 10 years.

Highlighted

Ok so why have they not sent out a tech to perform this repair? How can I request for a tech to be sent out other than through remote tech support or on the messaging app? After 3 weeks of frustration they advise me the issue has been resolved. No it has not, this is such an insult as a loyal customer of more than 10 years.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

It's the way that NBN Co works. They do remote testing, and if they don't see a problem, they will automatically cancel the technician's visit. In your case, they can't see a problem as a modem responds on the other end.

You will need to persist with rebooking an appointment through Telstra, but if you contact NBN Co as well, complain about the cancellations and tell them what is happening, they might be able to put a note on the file so that they actually see what the problem is and actually send the technician.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thank you. I have contacted NBN co today. They tried to tell me to go through Telstra to begin with but after providing all of the background information regarding Telstra lack of support they have put a note on my file and provided a reference number.

Highlighted

Hi Blayne,

Thanks for the update.

Even though they have put a note on your file, I expect that is all they are doing at this moment unless you know more than you've said already.

I think it needs 3 requests from Telstra on the same subject before NBNCo will escalate it to a Field Investigation.

What your going through is apparently common unfortunately due to the NBN Sub Contractor's increasing workload, and they are very poorly paid per job, so have to do as much as they can in a day to make some Dollars.

Mistakes happen.

Highlighted

Thanks. I understand that mistakes happen, that's fine as I make mistakes myself just like everyone does. The problem I have is with Telstra and the way they have handled the situation so far. The difficulty I have in getting through to someone who understands the situation is unacceptable. The level 1 "tech team" via phone/app are not trained well enough and under resourced from what I have experienced. They do not have the capacity to solve the problem I have, but the question is who does? What is their phone number so that I can escalate the issue myself? They will not tell me who to contact, only that level 2 will call me withing 24-48hrs, but they never do. I have called to cancel all of my Telstra accounts and have followed up my complaint. They have 24hrs to send someone out otherwise lose a loyal customer.

Highlighted

Hi Blayne,

The people who you are speaking to front line script readers. They just read the same old script to everyone and can't interpret your case as it's not supposed to happen that way.

When you contact them or they you, you should ask for Telstra Case Manager to be appointed to deal with your problem, and the file ref number of the case.

This is not the service number you quoted earlier in a post like 1- ########.

If you cancel the Telstra service, you won't be any better off as the field fault will still be there.

Another Retailer will have to be argued with all over again.

If you ring Telstra on it's public phone number, and say 'Disconnections', you will be transferred to an Accounts Team, not a Tech Team, BUT they may be able to steer your case towards someone in Tech Team who can do something from internally in Telstra to NBN.

Looks like you did use my suggestion of Telstra Facebook. What about trying NBN Facebook page too. It's there as well to try.  Actually, that was my first thought.

Highlighted

I called the Cancellations Team yesterday afternoon 26/07 and asked them to cancel all of my accounts with Telstra. Finally, I got through to an office within Australia who seemed to have more capacity to actually handle the situation, well I thought so at the time anyway. They asked me why I was cancelling my accounts and I went through the whole scenario (again....) with them as they pulled up all of the logged information. They were actually surprised at the length of time it has been dragging on and the number of failed attempts made to resolve the issue. The Cancellations Team member requested I reconsider cancelling and put me on hold while they spoke with their local NBN Faults team. After a while the Cancellations Team member returned and said that a technician had been booked to attend my property first thing today 27/05 to fix the NBN connection fault, which I was happy with.. 

At around 1pm today a technician arrived at my property, however it was not an NBN Co technician, they sent a normal Telstra technician instead who has no capacity to repair the NBN connection fault! He inspected the DSL port inside my house and tested the signal to my Smart Modem. He confirmed that there is no connection, as we have known for almost a month now, and said he had 'raised a ticket' directly to NBN Co. He said that NBN Co would call me with 24-48hrs to organise a time for an NBN Co technician come out and fix the fault as he couldnt do anything further himself and he then left.

HOWEVER, around an hour after the Telstra Technician left a Telstra Level 1 “tech support” member in Phillipines called me. They asked if the technician had attended and said they have records of this but nothing regarding an NBN Co technician being booked or needing to attend at all! So here we go again, they started to run their Level 1 remote tests which continue to pass as they always have. As suggested, my line must have been switched during the maintenance to another property by mistake. They again tell me that they need to raise it to Level 2 as they cannot find the fault. They have told me more than 5 times in the past week that this has already been escalated to Level 2 and that the Complaint Case Manager will call me. I actually have the Complaint Case Manager's name and ID number thanks to the local Cancellations Team, however this person has never made contact with me after being promised many times that they would, nor has anyone from Level 2 tech support. To top it all off, I received another SMS this evening telling me that the NBN Co technician appoint has been again cancelled, for the 5th time.

I am clearly stuck in some sort of bureaucratic procedural loop. Telstra blame NBN Co, then NBN Co blame Telstra and I am left without any other options. PLEASE HELP!!!! 

Highlighted

Go to the TIO (www.tio.com.au) and lodge a complaint about how NBN Co is handling your fault. Clearly Telstra is lodging the fault with NBN Co as you are getting the cancellation message from NBN Co. It is NBN Co who are failing to carry out the appropriate checks.

They have insulated themselves so far from the consumer that they don't even bother checking that they have actually fixed (or even identified the problem - even when they are told point blank what it is) the problem.

Your problems lie squarely with NBN Co and their inability to manage their infrastructure properly.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply.

I am Telstra's customer, not NBN Co's so surely it is Telstra's responsibility to manage their relationship with NBN Co. As you have said, NBN Co are completely insulated from the consumer so what am I to do? As I have mentioned above, I have already attempted to do Telstra's dirty work for them and personally called NBN Co many times and argued with them for a resolution. Of course, they automatically say that it is the service providers responsibility to lodge a fault, however after persisitng with them finally had a note put on my account and was provided with a reference number for the fault from NBN Co.

With all of that in mind how is a resolution even possible from my end? Telstra blame NBN Co, raise a fault and book an appointment then NBN Co tell Teltra nothing's wrong and cancel the appointment. The loop continues on and I am the one suffering as a result!

Highlighted

The problem is that NBN Co is not investigating the fault. Telstra has done all that they can do.

The TIO has the power to compel NBN Co to do their job properly, Telstra has not much more influence over them than you do. Odds are, Telstra don't even know that the appointment has been cancelled, that is how bad NBN Co's communication is.

The only way to make NBN Co sit up and take notice is to go to the ombudsman.

But, if you want to keep going on the Telstra-NBN-cancelled appointment- back to Telstra merry-go-round, be my guest.

Highlighted

Ok, we have made some progress today finally. Both NBN Co and the Telstra Complaints Case Manager have made contact and confirmed an appointment for an NBN Co technician to visit my premises tomorrow between 1-5pm to resolve the fault.

Atleast I now have direct contact details of people who have the capacity to make things happen from both sides, even if it has only taken the best part of a month of chasing things up myself. Lets see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone, it is appreciated.  

Highlighted

Issue is still ongoing! It has been a full month now!

The NBN Co technician finally came out to my premises last Friday 29/05. He identified that my line had been disconnected (damaged) somehow two streets away, so he went over, repaired it and reconnected me within 20 minutes. The connection was restored, the Smart modem light turned green and all has been good until today.

I arrived home from work this afternoon and the modem has no WAN/DSL signal, led on front is blue and it is running in 4G backup again. I called Telstra and they have no explanation as to why this has happened.

I have raised a complaint with TIO now. This poor level of service has to stop.

Highlighted

That sort of damaged is caused by two methods, vandalism (rare) or an NBN technician dislodging the connection when working on someone else's connection (too common, more training required). Either way, there is nothing that Telstra (or any other RSP) can do about that other than to request another NBN Co visit to fix it (and then for NBN Co to cancel the appointment again numerous times).

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit