Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN Dropouts and fixes that are not

We have regular NBN dropouts. This has been reported several times.  Once we were told the issue was fixed (but we still get dropouts).

With covid my family members are now required to work at home. The dropouts interfere with that.  If the dropouts lead to one of them losing their job, who is responsible and who will compensate them?  Telstra or NBN?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN Dropouts and fixes that are not

Neither as you are on a consumer grade service.

When the dropouts occur, what do the lights on your modem (and NBN NTD/connection device if you have one) do?

What type of NBN connection is it?

What model modem? The SmartModem should switch to 4G backup if the NBN connection disappears for more than 6 minutes.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hello Jupiter

Thank you for your response and your willingness to attempt to address the problem.

The problem and troubleshooting has been ongoing. Telstra at one time put a stabiliser on the line, which gave us some relief.  Unfortunately they removed it.

Later a tech said they had fixed the issue.  It persists.

We are now having an issue contacting Telstra.

I posted here in frustration, it is obviously not the spot for that question, I think my solicitor is the person to ask.

Once again, thank you for your response.

Highlighted

Unless your Solicitor is a whiz with fixing internet connections, all that going to them will accomplish is a successful and sizable reduction in you bank balance. You are on a consumer grade service which is basically a "best efforts" service, there are very few service guarantees associated with it.

If you post the information that I asked you to post, then we may be able to help figure out where the problem is occurring, and how best to communicate that to Telstra/NBN Co to get it fixed.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi again Jupiter.

Perhaps I have more faith in consumer protections than you do  Smiley Wink

Okay in response to your questions:

On the black NBN device, all lights are on.

On the modem, see here: https://prnt.sc/unejpa

Modem Make Model: Technicolor DJA0231

NBN connection is a coaxial fibre mix I think.

Telstra have:

run monitors on this

put a stabilser on that stopped the dropouts

removed the stabiliser

discovered a fault

'fixed' the fault

The dropouts persist.

I am curious.  You said:

"If you post the information that I asked you to post, then we may be able to help figure out where the problem is occurring, and how best to communicate that to Telstra/NBN Co to get it fixed."

Who do you represent, who is the 'we' you mentioned, basically, what are your bona fides?

Highlighted

When I say "we" I mean those of us (mostly customers) who have been hanging around here for years (in my case, just over 8 years) helping out other customers with their problems. Personally, I have been building and maintaining my own computers and networks since 1985.

Now, to your problem. I am assuming that you have plugged the WAN port of the Telstra modem into the LAN port of the black NBN device. With the Online light off, that means that you aren't getting a connection through to the Telstra network. The WAN/DSL light is on, meaning that a connection has been made to the black NBN Box.

If you disconnect the ethernet cable from the Telstra modem and plug it into a computer, do you:

1. get a stable connection through to the internet on the computer? Will indicate if it is a problem with the modem, or the NBN connection.
  2. does the mobile mode light go on on the Telstra modem, and the phone light go green? Just want to make sure that your mobile backup is working. So you still have some sort of access should you need your phone (should give you some internet as well).

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit